Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misst47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 11:18 AM
    My partner wants me to add his name to the mortgage.
    He is worried that if anything happens to me he will be out on his ear. How do I go about adding his name to the mortgage? Is it expensive and would I be better writing a will?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 19, 2010, 11:32 AM

You are better off with a will. If you split up they can't demand half of what is your now... and in a will they inherit it in a manor that is beneficial to them. And like I said... if anything happens before you pass... you can always change the will to suit the situation.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Adding his name to the mortgage merely means that he will be responsible for paying back the loan. It won't give him any ownership interest in the property. He would need to be added to the deed in order to have any ownership interest.

Whether you add him to the deed or make him the beneficiary in your will depends on your personal situation (ages, children, taxes, etc.). It might be a good idea to speak to an accountant or an attorney (or both) before making any moves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add someone to your mortgage [ 49 Answers ]

Hi I wondered if anyone could help me I am living with my partner but the mortgage is only in my name. I am divorced and I kept the house (bought my ex out) As my new partner pays half of everything I think it is only fair he is included in my mortgage. Can anyone please advise how you do this, if...

How do I take my partner off the mortgage? [ 2 Answers ]

I really need to know how I take my partner off the mortgage we have just split up cn you help?

I want out of mortgage but partner doesn't! [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have split up a few months ago. I no longer live in the home we have a joint mortgage on. I have moved out but still pay half. The ex does not want to sell but I want out of the mortgage. Any advice on what needs to be done?? Cheers.

How to add my name on our mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

How do I add my name on the mortgage? My name is not on the title or the loan, but I have been paying for the mortgage with my husband too. Now Iwould like to add my name on the tittle. Please advise, thank you.

Getting out of a mortgage with a partner [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my partner are splitting up and she is carrying on living in our flat. Is it possible for her to do this if she buys me out for example or if she gets a lodger in to help with the mortgage repayments?

View more questions Search