Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

May 19, 2010, 08:35 AM
    Issue after Installing Windows 7
    Hello everyone - recently I upgraded my laptop from Windows Vista to Windows 7 Professional (32-bit). I own a SONY VGN-NS240E, by the way.

At any rate, after I installed Windows 7, my function keys no longer work so I cannot adjust volume or brightness settings any longer.

I have attempted to install the Notebook Control and Utilities - 3 file(s)
    Found here: Sony eSupport - VGN-NS240E - Software Updates & Drivers

I can install the Setting Utility Series file and the VAIO Control Center software but every time I attempt to install the VAIO Launcher Software, it tells me that it did not install correctly. So my function keys are still not working.

Anyone have any ideas about what the issue could be?

Thanks.
    Andriean Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 08:21 PM

First question, why did you decide to upgrade?

If it's a storebought computer, then the function keys are specifically designed to work with the preinstalled software package included with Windows Vista.

Unfortunately, losing those functions is always a possibility when upgrading or downgrading to another operating system.

For instance, I have an ASUS laptop with several keys which I can use to put the computer to sleep, change brightness of the display, or adjust power settings on the fly. If Microsoft were to come out with Windows 8, I may upgrade to Windows 8 but risk losing the ability to use those function keys.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 10:45 PM

Did you check out VAIO about any information that may be suggested when upgrading to 7?

For me, toshiba is pushing the upgrade but in order to do it, there are a lot of steps to do before the update and then patches to apply after doing the upgrade and that is using the upgrade they offer.

Was this an update from VAIO or a version purchased? With laptops especially, should use the mfg upgrade option they offer to hopefully prevent problems (does not always work of course)
    mlenard Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2010, 04:37 PM

If your laptop is still under warranty, then you should be able to wipe the whole system, pop the discs in, load up the factory software, then install the update of windows 7 however-

If the copy of windows 7 is 32-bit and your system is running a 64-bit chipset you might run into a few snags tryng to run the 32 bit OS on it.

Most 64 bit chipsets can run 32 % 64 however it takes some minor tweaking in the BIOS settings. I have to look further into it but that's probably what is going wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have an issue with installing Java? [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is for some reason one day my java stopped working and I went into my add or remove programs list and it wasn't there so I went to the java website downloaded the install thing but when I click on it it says "the installer cannot proceed with the current internet connection settings....

Installing windows [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody My question is about installing windows. So far I did that but only on a laptop ( my own). What I want to know if there is a difference in installing windows on a PC regarding the drivers for peripherals and things like sound, graphics etc... because the PC is made of pieces and I...

PC shuts down before installing windows xp [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 80gig maxtor hard drive and DVD writer connected on the same IDE cable, when I want to install windows xp or ubuntu linux the computer shuts down. When I boot from dvd-rom window loads until that part of (starting windows) then it shuts down. When I run ubuntu live cd it fully loads...

Installing Windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

If someone installed xp that belongs to someone else could they still get updates? Should it be registered in the owner's name? How should that be handled? Is it OK to register it twice under one name? Will it still work? Thanks.

View more questions Search