Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynnkbird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Nerve damage
    My precious Havanese was hit by a car yesterday. Has fractured right acetabulum, public symphis, cocygeal vertebrae in tail. His tail is flaccid. He is out of shock, his eyes are bright, but vets are slow to act because they say the dog may be permanently incontinent. There is a lot of swelling. Is there any hope?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 04:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your boy, there is always hope, but there is the fact that yes, he may always be incontinent due to the muscle damage.

Is it something you are prepared to live with?

I have an incontinent dog here, granted it is urinary incontinence, but still a pain, we have a system and products figured out to make life easier... it takes a lot of time and effort but it is manageable.

Once you have gotten over the shock of what has happened just have a think about what our daily life will be like and if you think you would be able to cope with an incontinent dog.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2010, 05:06 PM

I have no technical competence in this matter but I am a pet lover and have 2 pups of my own.

Animals have remarkable recuperative powers so hope for the best.

I'm so sorry for his suffering but at least there's life and an opportunity to recover.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 19, 2010, 05:14 AM

I agree, there is always hope. But like Shaz says is incontinence something you are prepared to live with?

I am so sorry for your boy, I know how hard it is to make decisions like this.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2010, 05:41 PM

Is there a need for surgery with how his pelvis is broken? We have a cat in our clinic right now that got hit by a car and the way the acetabulum has been broken, he needs surgery or he won't be able to defecate properly.

Time will tell when the swelling goes down. If the damage is severe enough that the tail will always be flaccid, it may need to be removed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Novocaine=nerve damage now? [ 2 Answers ]

Two days ago I had a cavity filled, and I think the dentist had to do a couple of extra shots of novocaine?. Because I was still feeling it. Well, as soon as I walked out of the dentist, when I would speak, the right side of my upper lip just stayed in place and only the left side could move....

Permanent inguinal nerve damage [ 1 Answers ]

Injured with the military and got permanent inguinal nerve damage. The pain is unbearable and pain meds are not working. Don't know where to turn for answers. Many doctors give different opinions. Working 4 hours a day and almost impossible to be on my feet that long. Received 10% disability...

Nerve damage at T-12 [ 2 Answers ]

After many test for left abdominal pain for the past 18month,I was refaired to pain management clinic,within a short time the doctor told me that the pain is not due to abdominal pain but due to the nerve at T-12, he has given me oxycontin amitriptiline and a tens machine,the pain is reduced but...

View more questions Search