Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ked1 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

May 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
    Is there anything that is worthwhile to know about public computers?
    I mean a computers found in libraries, etc. and not a personal computer that happens to be used by family and friends.
    I mean other than do not use them for sensitive stuff like taxes and banking etc.
    What are you not likely be able to do on them. Other than, you can't change the "internet option" setting.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 18, 2010, 05:37 PM

Many have restrictions on them. Also anything you do on them may be recorded. Other then that they work like any other. You may have a time limit and not be able to install anything.

May 19, 2010, 07:43 PM

Califdadod3, thank you. My question is what are the restrictions on them? The ones that are common to all of them. I know installing is one example.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 19, 2010, 10:21 PM

The libraries where I live, you can't install anything and can't run any .exe file no matter where it lies. The system is returned to the same identical state when finished. You can only use software that's provided. The only ports allowed to be used are http and https and that's it. Forget about downloading updates via FTP that you want to take home and install..

I needed some drivers from HP and I had to rent time elsewhere.
    Internet Research Expert

May 20, 2010, 01:05 PM

Also many libraries provide wifi in and around the library. So if you have a laptop you should be able to get a signal. As far as other restrictions there may be ones for adult content restricted and you will need a password from the librarian to use that feature. Otherwise it's the same as any reguler connection.

May 21, 2010, 06:35 PM

Thank you califofdad3,

Let me give an example. You go to a website's "Contact us" page and you click on the email address, and you get a... whatever you call it, the thing that comes on when you click "compose email" in your gmail or "new" in Yahoo. (Please tell me what you call it?) It is only when you click "send" - after you spend a ton of time composing the email that you find out that you can't send your email from a public computer. See what I mean? There should be a "you can't perform this task" kind of message as soon as you click the email address. If it is an internet café where you pay by the hour or ˝ hour or so, it money and time wasted for nothing. This could happen If someone lost their password to their email account, or the website is down temporarily, etc. so they can't send their email from their account.

May 21, 2010, 08:57 PM

Thank you calidadof3, I lost that part in editing.
    So, I am hoping if you come across a list somewhere that includes the example I gave, you would let me know.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2010, 05:25 AM

Most places I know of just block web-based e-mail entirely. It's possible that GMail or Yahoo! Is blocking the e-mail from being sent from a known public location.

As mentioned above, if your library has a wifi connection you might be able to use it.

My GMail account automatically saves drafts every few minutes or so. So you could check their for your message. Otherwise you could also copy the message to the clipboard before you send the message (basically highlight everything and Control+C to copy it then Control+V to paste it into notepad or something for keeps).

May 24, 2010, 07:29 PM

FadedMaster, We are not referring to the same thing.
    There should be a "you can't perform this task". Beforehand, on the screen, if it is not going to allow it to be performed. So there would be no wasted time composing. I am not talking about how to save my email at all. How did you get that? Can you please tell me how one's own computer came into this question? This is about people who need to use the public computers, and what you can't do on them.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 08:16 PM

Generally it's safe to compose mail from gmail and Yahoo. However, the way you need to do this is a right click, "copy email address". In the library I use, right click is disabled, so that's not an option.

When you hover over the email address, it may appear at the bottom of the browser. Write it down and type it directly into the browser.

Aside: Outgoing email is usually disabled at a hot spot when sent from outlook or a mail program. Again it's usually OK to send via www.gmail.com or mail.yahoo.com.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2010, 11:50 PM

I can offer one suggestion with emailing from a new location. Try emailing yourself first. That's a simple test case.

May 27, 2010, 06:44 PM

This is the second time when I expect to see my last posting and it is not here. I am thinking as soon as I post this it will show up, like it did last time... No, now I see a response to my last posting but not all the exchanges before that with caldadof3 ? And... I forgot the other members's name.

May 27, 2010, 08:47 PM

Some of the answers/responses are missing, including the one I posted a few hours ago. Some of them are back.
    Internet Research Expert

May 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ked1 View Post
    This is the second time when I expect to see my last posting and it is not here. I am thinking as soon as I post this it will show up, like it did last time .....No, now I see a response to my last posting but not all the exchanges before that with caldadof3 ? and ...I forgot the other members's name.
    Your on page #2, You need to go to page #1 to see the other parts of the thread.

May 27, 2010, 08:58 PM

KeepIt SimpleStupid,

I just see your answer now. Earlier it was a different thing. A minute ago there were some of the other answers. I don't know what to make of it.

But you don't use public computers, right? That suggestion trying from another location is not supposed to work.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 11:15 PM

Um... well, I would've sworn I posted on this thread. Furthermore, it is showing up in my subscribed list, which is what happens when you post on a thread. (You can subscribe anyway, but I didn't, so that's telling me I did post.) Do you remember my name from this? If so, you're right that something weird is going on.

May 29, 2010, 03:40 PM

Morgaine300,

I just posted, "bring the missing answers", (and then I edited it out) because there were missing answers, that is when your showed up. The one that asks what happened to your posting. I never saw your name before, so I am missing your answer. Is there a private messaging system here? If so where? The first few answers are still not showing up.

By the way if the asker is trying to respond to an answerer, would it be better for him/her to find a "response" or "comment" box instead of "answer this question" box?

May 30, 2010, 04:02 PM

Hello
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 04:40 PM

I don't know for sure that I did post on here. I just seem to recall answering someone who was having these types of difficulties - that may have been a similar thread.

Yes, there's a PM system here. If you go to your profile page, it's in the list down the left side of the page.

I am not aware of a "response" or "comment" box. Your choices are the "answer this question" box, or the "quote user" thing that's on the post itself.

The difference between those is that the "answer this question" box won't quote anything and if you're answering anything but the last post, it could be difficult for anyone to know who/what you are answering. Like right now, I think it's fairly obvious that I'm answering you and I don't see a necessity in quoting you.

But if you're answering an earlier post it's sometimes better to quote, or at least refer to the person by name. Or if you're answering some specific comment in their thread, it can be best to quote so they know exactly what you're referring to. (If you quote, you can delete any of the parts you don't want as long as the "quote" tags remain around it.)

Just use your best judgment on whether you think it's necessary (or you just want) to quote.

And lastly, be patient. You don't always get responses right away. Everyone here is a volunteer, doing this around other lives.

Oh, I guess not lastly, cause one more. This forum is generally for internet stuff out and about other places. For questions on this site specifically, we do have a "forum help" forum:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum-help/

Jun 3, 2010, 06:11 PM

Some of the answers are missing as well as my last comments

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computers: what is an economic (and idiotproof)way of networking two home computers? [ 1 Answers ]

The prioncipal computer is Windows 7 model, and I wish to bring an older computer into the same operating status re broadband etc. What equipment and cabling is necessary?

Is Skin Lightening Report worthwhile ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi ! Im Marisa and Im thinking of buying the Skin Lightening Report... Does anyone know if it is worthwhile... please give me your opinion Thanks in advance

Zt computers [ 2 Answers ]

Need info about zt computers. Never heard of them

There's nothing worthwhile left. [ 8 Answers ]

I am 22 years old. I have attempted suicide twice. I have been through multiple therapists, pyschologists, and psychiatrists. I have been on dozens of different medications. I dropped out of all treatment when they wanted to continue with shock therapy. My last therapist called my mother to...

View more questions Search