Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

May 16, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Underlayment for manufactured stone indoors...
    Sorry if this is the wrong group to post this to. I am going to be replacing my brick fireplace surround with a manufactured stone one. Per the instructions video I saw online, as well as the manufactures install instructions, I am supposed to nail/staple metal lathe (min 2.5 lb) to the wall and then skim coat it. When that sets up, then I can start the stone install. My question is, can I just use concrete backerboard and skip the whole lathe/skim coat step. It seems to the I'd end up with the same starting point in the end.

Thanks,
    Rob
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2010, 07:04 PM

If you were tiling I'd say go ahead but the fake stone is heavier and the mesh should be used. There is a top and bottom to the mesh so be sure to install with the notch pointing up and use at least 15 lbs felt under the mesh. When installing faux stone do not take short cuts, follow the manufacturer's instruction to a tee.
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

May 17, 2010, 04:20 AM

Thanks for the reply ballengerb1. I was hoping to save myself some time, but I guess not in this case. Oh well - I'd rather do it right once then do it again! Thanks for the tip on the mesh. The installer instructions also mentioned that.

Thanks,
    Rob
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 07:42 AM

Hi Rob

Check with manufacturer to see if u can use concrete backerboard. They may have a customer service number with directions.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to lay flag stone on a stove Hearth over cement board 1 in. Stone [ 1 Answers ]

I'am building a 20sq. ft. raised hearth for a woodstove. I put down 3/4 plywood. I'am going to put down cement board for fire code. What do I need to lay 1 in. flagstone over this./ mortor mix/ sand?

Bringing tomatoes indoors [ 7 Answers ]

I planted a garden for the first time this year and have really enjoyed it. I planted most of my veggies in boxes that I can move around. I read that tomatoes are perennials, but most people treat them as annuals because the frost will kill them. I live in an area where the first frosts usually...

Window A/C Unit indoors? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an old apartment building with casement (crank) windows. This makes it difficult to find a window A/C to fit in such narrow window openings. My window opening is about 16" wide, but with the way the window cranks out I really only have about 12"-13" to work with. I recently found a...

How to Strip wall panels indoors [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to strip wall panels so I can paint them. What do I use to strip wall panels in my trailor home?

Painting Metal Shutters Indoors [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There I am an artist who has been commissioned to work with young people in a community centre. The project is to paint a internal roller shutter (steel or aluminium I think). I think it would be best to use spray paints but it is in inside and is a kitchen / café shutter. I would...

View more questions Search