Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nargis786 Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Difficulties when implementing anti-discriminatory practice
    I'm stuck on a merit question and I really need help, the question is asking me what difficulties a care worker may face when implementing anti-discrimnatory practice.

This is what I've got so far, I'm not sure if its right but can someone give me some feedback on what I have already got and give me some other ideas.

When implementing anti-discriminatory practice there are many difficulties that may occur. These can occur between service users, the service user and the organisation, and between the care worker and the service user. For example, if one service user has a hearing impairment and consequently when they listen to music it is louder than other service users would like it to be. The service user has a right to listen to their music, however due to the service user having a hearing impairment they will be listening to it very loudly which will cause problem with the other service users who have a right to peace and quiet. This dilemma may cause tension and arguments between the service users. To ease this tension, Nihal should provide the service user with earphones.
    Also during meal times, if everyone is given the same type of food of what some service users have chosen they prefer this can cause conflicts with the other service users as they have not been given the chance to give their opinion about what kind of food they eat. If there is an individual who is a Muslim and is given pork, he/she will argue not to eat it, also if there is a vegetarian they would not also eat this which would cause arguments and may even cause individuals starving themselves because they do not want to eat the food that is given to them. This is discrimination and the service user may feel that Nihal is taking sides of others and not taking in account about their needs. With different individuals having their own problems with the food provided, the problems just build up together at meal times, having different individuals arguing at the same time that they do not want to eat what they are given. This can also cause problems with the other service users who may be happy to eat what they are already given, as they may wish to eat their food in peace and quiet. In addition, for those individuals who may starve themselves because they are not given the right food, this can cause the individuals to become more ill which can even lead to death if they carry on doing this. This will cause problems for Nihal as well as it will lead to further investigation of the death and the authority will eventually come to a conclusion that Nihal had not been taking proper care of the individual and did not meet the individual’s needs. Therefore to avoid these problems, Nihal should ask the service users beforehand what kind of food they eat, so when they have their meal times there will be a variety of food available for them to choose which is suitable for them.
    In addition, if an individual with hearing impairment is watching TV with the volume up high while other service users are trying to relax, this would cause conflicts. However Nihal has the right of allowing the service user to watch TV. Therefore the service user with the hearing impairment should be reminded by Nihal to put their hearing aids on at all times and switched on as some service users need regular reminding as they usually forget.
    emma199 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Isn't that written about discrimination not aiti-discrimination ?
    199456789 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2012, 03:29 AM
    You can say what procedures would be taken by staff whistle blowing. You can Google it but you basically need to say what the procedure is if staff are caught whistle blowing. *any issues of bad practice, possible fraud or corruption needs to be delt with, in a mature manner, where all staff can express there feelings freely and a solution can be made to any problems. Also there should be someone in the work place who is there specifically to talk to about problems in the work place as some people do not have to confidence to speak in front of a group. Strengths to this idea would be that there would be less whistle blowing as staff wouldn't need to however a weakness is tat if you hire someone to just deal with problems like this, it mmay cost a lot of money and they won't always be needed.

Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Discriminatory terms [ 2 Answers ]

Why are the term MENTALLY HANDICAPPED,WHEELE CHAIR BOUND AND COLOURD discriminatingand what are the alternative words which should be used

Implementing alternate heat solutions [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to heat an apartment building with 3 apartments with space heaters and a 40 amp heat box. It is an old building with old wiring and old screw in fuses and 100 amp fuse boxes for each unit. How do I know when I have overloaded the circuits? Can anyone offer a recommendation for this...

Poor and discriminatory service at restaurant [ 8 Answers ]

I visited an Elephant Bar in Fremont, CA Friday 7/27/07 at 5:28 p.m. I asked the greeter for a private seat where I could sit and have a drink and something to eat while waiting for tire work to be done at a nearby shop. She was very kind and instructed a lady to seat me. The seater was very...

View more questions Search