Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawrencef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 06:03 AM
    Which book of the bible records Jesus saying that He is God
    Jesus mentions only at one place that He is God directly somewhere in the Pauline letters. Can you give me the verse number and the book
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2010, 06:35 AM

It is my understanding that the Pauline letters are within the 'Acts of the Apostles' in the New Testament and deal with Paul of Tarsus, but I don't remember any mention of Jesus declaring he is God. Sorry I can't help you with verse no. which would entail reading the whole of the New Testament and seeing as we are all volunteers here with limited time within our own professions, I am hoping some expert within AMHD can bring that up off the top of his head for you, but as good as some of our experts are, I doubt it.

Your question has been addressed before here https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/christ...od-340787.html without any satisfactory answers.

Tick
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencef View Post
    Jesus mentions only at one place that He is God directly somwhere in the Pauline letters. Can you give me the verse number and the book
    Actually most of his statements to this effect are in the gospel of John, not in the Paulines. He says he and the father are one in John 10:30; he says that whoever has seen him has seen the father in John 14, and in John 20:28 Thomas calls him "my Lord and my God" and Jesus agrees with him. Those are just a few.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Just so everyone knows...

This same type of question was also debated a lot on the following thread.

Thanks!
    I Newton Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jun 7, 2010, 12:13 AM

Hello Lawrence

Do not waste your time looking; it does not exist.

Jesus and Yahweh are one like Father and Son are one or like husband and wife are one.

Jesus IS Yahweh as much as a Son can be his own Father.

A son is the same nature of his father, can act exactly like his father, can look exactly like his father and have the same mind as his father and can represent his father in every way, but will never be his own father.

Jesus is the Son of God, believe this and you will be saved.
    deepinthought2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2010, 01:25 AM

Orthodox religion says he is God that became man, and esoteric religion says he is man that became God. The Bible supports both. Jesus said that he has been sent down from the fatherand is also a reflection of the father. He says that no-one prior to him has seen heaven from where he descended, that he is the son of God, that all power in heaven and earth and the grave have been given to him, that he would sit on the heavenly throne at the right hand of God, that he had the power to forgive sins and that there is no other name through which we are saved. He said before Abraham was I am. The gospels call him the Logos (Word) of God that was there since creation and through whom everything was created. The apostles acknowledged his divinity and called him “my lord and my god.” He did not deny being God in John 10, but here is the twist because he also acknowledges that the true followers of God are gods, and he quotes Psalms 82 which says that we were meant to be gods, but instead we are cursed to die like mere men. In 1 Cor 13 Paul also says his followers are acting like mere men and are still slaves to those whose nature is not divine ("you served those which by nature are not gods."). The concept of the lower nature (mere man) that must die and the higher nature (divine self) that must be born is found throughout the New Testament. So I believe that Christ is the firstborn of all the gods, having descended first and then ascended again, and that we as his followers are destined to follow in His footsteps. He is the first breath (the Word) that went out and returned back to God as the firstborn of all creation. We are his younger brothers and sisters.
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Aug 26, 2010, 08:28 AM
    In John 14:9, Jesus said "He that has seen me has seen the Father."
    The Godhead consists of the Trinity, three divine Persons,God the
    Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, each fully God, each
    Showing fully the divine nature. Math. 3:16. They all three have existed from before there was anything that could begin, three distinct Persons all function as One. The Father is the fountainhead of the Trinity, the Creator, the first cause. He is the primary thought, the concept of all
    That has been and will be created. Jesus said, "MY Father has been
    working untill now, and I have been working."
    God sent His Son to this world not to come down on people, but
    "For God so loved the Wordl", to reach out to people in love, and embrace the world and draw it to Himself.

Love and Blessing Maggie 3
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2010, 12:35 PM

John 8:58

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

When Jesus said this... the Jews he was speaking to understood EXACTLY what he was saying because in the next verse they picked up stones to kill him for saying he was God.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    John 8:58

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

When Jesus said this.....the Jews he was speaking to understood EXACTLY what he was saying because in the next verse they picked up stones to kill him for saying he was God.
    Yep. Same thing happened in John 10. They clearly understood him to mean he was equal to, i.e. was/is, God. And he didn't contradict them.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencef View Post
    Jesus mentions only at one place that He is God directly somwhere in the Pauline letters. Can you give me the verse number and the book
    Do you mean an instance in one of St. Paul's letters where St. Paul says that Jesus is God?

Titus 2:13 (King James Version)

13Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

There are many others. See this list:
    Scripture Catholic - JESUS CHRIST'S DIVINITY - SOME OF MANY EXAMPLES

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where are the places in the bible that indicated Jesus is God? [ 19 Answers ]

I believe there are several such places including in the Old Testament. Example, was it Jesus or God the Father who visited and dined with Abram (who became Abraham). :confused:If it was Jesus who do we know that?:confused: :confused:Also How many places in the New Testament indicate the Jesus...

God and the Bible [ 43 Answers ]

The Bible contains two main parts : the Old Testament and the New Testament. Both are claimed to be valid Testaments, either written by God or written by humans who were guided by God. The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction : Jealous and proud of...

How many places in the Bible does Jesus say or admit that He is God? [ 14 Answers ]

Is this one of them along with a prophesy that came true. Today's Gospel (Lk 19:41-44): When Jesus had come in sight of the city, He wept over it and said, ‘If only today you knew the ways of peace! But now your eyes are held from seeing. Yet days will come upon you when your enemies will...

Did Jesus Ever Say He was God? [ 252 Answers ]

:confused: Is Jesus Christ God? Investigate these interesting claims... The earliest followers of Jesus all seemed pretty convinced that Jesus was fully God in human form. Paul said, "He is the image of the invisible God...in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell." John said...

There never was a Jesus? God? [ 165 Answers ]

I'm an atheist and have been since I was very young. I always had a great argument due to being brought up in a religious home, but never had the answer as to how religion came into play. My friend brought this video over to my house and it seemed a little boring at first, then about ten minutes...

View more questions Search