Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

May 15, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Save Outlook Express Address Book to .PST File
    I use Outlook Express, and would prefer not to switch to Outlook. I know, I know... (long and involved explanation and would prefer not to get into it).

My OE address book is saved to a .wab file.

I am going to start using a WD backup drive that automatically saves and restores files if necessary (WD Smartware). But they don't support .wab files, only .pst files.

I am almost certain that at one point, I accidentally set my Outlook Express to save it's address book to a .pst file, but I can't remember how. Maybe something to do with "shared contacts"??

I don't wish to go through a manual conversion from .wab to .pst. I just want to know if Outlook Express can always save the address book entries to a .pst file so my backup software will capture it.

I've Googled the topic, but everything requires using Outlook.

Thanks All...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 15, 2010, 11:21 PM
    Here's a better idea.
    Switch to Thunderbird ( Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox )
    OE integrates straight into it and it's a huge amount better anyway ;)

From there backup should be a snap.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
    Hey, Ben!

Will Thunderbird even work on my present operating system? I used to have it in the other computer that I have.

The site to which you posted a link, is taking forever to load up on the present computer...

Thanks!
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

May 16, 2010, 07:08 AM

Thanks CB,

I love Firefox, so I shall check it out.

Since I wrote this post, I have read 100's of user reviews on WD's Smartware (which came pre-loaded on my backup drives). It seems to be universally hated. This is the only reason I asked about .pst files, since Smartware won't back up .wab files.

Can you suggest a (freeware) backup software that focuses on file backups vs entire disk images?

I'd like to be able to find individual files on the backup drive if needed.

I also REALLY want incremental real-time back ups that don't slow the PC too much. I make so many changes to my files all day, that even losing an hour's worth of data would hurt.

There's a million programs out there, and I'm going crazy trying to choose one.

Dmailer looks pretty good, but I don't think it does the incremental backups.

Dmailer Backup - Free PC/Mac Backup Software + 2GB Free Online Storage

Thanks...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express: Big Address Book but nothing in Contacts [ 11 Answers ]

Got a new laptop and imported my address book (wab) into OE... the same way I've done it dozens of times over the years... But on this 'puter the Contacts pane is empty. When I go to the address book (from within OE) all my contacts are there, and when I go to send an email and start typing...

Outlook Express address book corrupted, How to rebuild? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My OE Address Book is corrupted, I have made an "export" to have a backup. How can I recreate this Address book before "importing" my backup? Thanks is advance

Address book in outlook express [ 2 Answers ]

I have imported contacts but it shows the address book is empty.The contacts I have imported are 150. Thanks Eunice

Export groups from outlook express address book [ 0 Answers ]

I have the following problem: I have my contacts in groups in my outlook express contact list. I need this contacts, sorted by groups in csv or excel. If I import them to e.g. Outlook I get the contacts, but not sorted in groups.

Outlook express address book [ 1 Answers ]

Outlook express address book How do I rebuild a lost address book on outlook express

View more questions Search