Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rottenrichard00 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 03:12 PM
    55 amps #8 wire run 50 feet
    If you touch a wire and it is hot, is that bad ?

May 15, 2010, 03:33 PM
    Should the wires in my house be hot to the touch
    If you touch a houseing wire and it is really hot is this bad ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 03:34 PM

Yes, it is bad. I would cut the power to those wires till you have it inspected

May 15, 2010, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, it is bad. I would cut the power to those wires till you have it inspected
    The main feed wires to my pannel are hot to the touch ?
    How hot can they be ? Should they be cold
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 04:24 PM

If that is on a 40 Amp breaker, it will likely trip.
    What size Breaker and what is your Load. Motors, Welders, pumps?
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 04:31 PM

A loose connection will generate heat, maybe shutdown power, tighten connections then restore power, an Electrician should do this.

May 15, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    A loose connection will generate heat, maybe shutdown power, tighten connections then restore power, an Electrician should do this.
    I am running a lot of things 4 A/C's ,refer, hot water heater, lights,

May 15, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenrichard00 View Post
    I am running a lot of things 4 A/C's ,refer, hot water heater, lights,
    When I turn off some things the wires cool down
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 05:25 PM

Wire gets hot if and when something is not right, perhaps they are over loaded and you need larger leads to the panel. Or they have bad or loose connections. You need a professional to check it out, and yes it can be a danger

May 15, 2010, 05:41 PM
    I need 100 Amps at 50ft using 8/3 stranded should be cool ?
    I have 8/3 on a 50ft run, I am using 100amps, 50 on each side and my wires are a little warm. What do you think, it would be really hard to replace the wire, The last 3 feet at the panel I cannot get to, if I spliced/ sodered a #6 wire and ran it back 47 feet would that help, remember I cannot get to that last 3 foot piece at the panel. Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 15, 2010, 06:23 PM

What kind of cable is this. What kind of circuit is this. What is the voltage. Sounds like a 240 circuit to a sub panel. What kind and size is the breaker. The maximum amperage on #8 Romex is 40 amps. Maximum amperage on #6 Romex is 55 amps.

No, you cannot splice on #6 to #8 and use it like #6 wire.
    Better tell us what you are doing.

Delete all of you other post. Put everything in one post. We can't keep track of you.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 16, 2010, 08:26 AM

Did anyone notice that according to the poster, he is running 55 amps on #8 cable instead of #6. No wonder the cable is getting hot, it's the wrong size.

Questions:

Are you in a mobile home?

Have you ever had an electrician correctly size this feeder to make sure you have the proper size feeder for the calculated load?

What is the size of your incoming service from the Power Company?

Is this a feeder to a sub panel?

Please give a complete description of the cable you are using, particularly the temp rating and type of insulation on the cable.

While #8, conductors can carry 55 amps, in the 90 (C) column that does not apply, unless the entire circuit is constructed using 90(C) components.

60 (C) and 75 (C) are commonly tested and listed as residential components.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Theis poster is looking for an answer he agrees with. Unfortunately unless the situation is corrected very soon, he's likely to experience a total electrical failure, and the worse case is a fire. A professional needs to be called in immediately and get this resolved before any personal or property harm happens. He's playing Russian roulette with his life.

May 16, 2010, 04:03 PM

I am not sure how to work this thing. If I splice it what will happen? I don't know if you noticed but I live in Mexico, so we can get away with something, but I still want to get it right.
    The last 2-3 ft going into the meter is in solid cement I cannot get to it, and I don't want to change the whole meter unless I have to.

May 16, 2010, 04:07 PM

Cable Indiana THW-LS/THHW-LS ANTIFLAME 8.37MM 8AWG 600V 75/90 VW-1 ANCE. 50ft yes 240 to a sub

May 16, 2010, 04:07 PM

What is the temp on the wire for 75/90 ?

May 16, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    What kind of cable is this. What kind of circuit is this. What is the voltage. Sounds like a 240 circuit to a sub panel. What kind and size is the breaker. The maximum amperage on #8 Romex is 40 amps. Maximum amperage on #6 Romex is 55 amps.

No, you cannot splice on #6 to #8 and use it like #6 wire.
    Better tell us what you are doing.

Delete all of you other post. Put everything in one post. We can't keep track of you.
    #8 stranded, no romex 3 wires -2#8 1#10 cables to a 100 amp sub. Sound like I need #6 at least mabie #4 ? Breakers can be changed no problem, the only thing I can not change is the last 2-3 ft is in solid cement.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 16, 2010, 06:12 PM

Okay, you are officially scaring me.

The length of cable that passes through concrete, is it in conduit?

If I read one of your responses, you are using only 240 VAC. None of the connections at the sub panel will need 120 VAC?

May 16, 2010, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Theis poster is looking for an answer he agrees with. Unfortunately unless the situation is corrected very soon, he's likely to experience a total electrical failure, and the worse case is a fire. A professional needs to be called in immediately and get this resolved before any personal or property harm happens. He's playing Russian roulette with his life.
    I live in Mexico, I am probably the most qualifyed with in 1000 miles, there is no danger because I can select what to turn on or off, until I fighre this out I am keeping two of my A/C's off. I checked the wireing to day with the two A/C's off and the wires were normal room temp. what is the temp on the side of my wire it said: Indiana THW-LS/THHW-LS ANITIFLAME 8.37 mm 8 AWG 600v 75c/90c VW-1 ANCE, MY MAIN is 100Amps, the sub-panel is rated at 100amp max, 50ft -2#8-1#10. Looks like I need 2#6-1#8 ?
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 07:22 PM

If you are planning for growth and/or have the money, how about #4's(100 amp).
    Motors and Compressors hate Low Voltage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What size wire would you need to run a 60 amp circuit 150 feet [ 3 Answers ]

Feed to a barn for some lights, receptacles and an air compressor

How many amps can I run on an 800 watt inverter? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know how many amps I can run on an 800 watt inverter. I am using mini Christmas lights, Coleman 800 watt inverter and a deep cycle 12 volt battery. Thanks, Steve

How many amps is # 6 wire ratered for [ 2 Answers ]

How many amps is # 6 wire rated for

Gauge of Wire From Meter to house,100 amp fuses,200 feet run. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am intending to replace some wire that runs for 200 feet, from my meter to my house.I live on an island, so the run is quite long ! At either end are breaker boxes with 100 amp fuses in each.Never had any trouble/ fuse blows etc. The old wire (each of the 3 strands) are a little...

Can I run 400 amps with two 200 amp boxes? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to run 400 amp service in my new home and I was wondering if it is possible to run two separate 200 amp boxes instead of 1 400 amp with is much more expensive. If so do I need a main 400 amp lug or can I use the two separate 200 amp mains?

View more questions Search