Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cushla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 05:31 AM
    State Select gas water heater serial # PR 640N05971L
    Damsel in Distress!
    My gas water heater State Select Serial number PR640 NO 5971L H 98883450. It's not heating. I've had it lit two times and for a short while it works and heats the water. However, a few hours later the Pilot goes off and that is what my problem is. This unit is about 12 years old and unless I have company I am the only occupant so I don't feel the system has had a lot of use. I don't know if I need a plumber or heating and air person.
    Thank you in anticipation
    Carmel
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Hi Cushla,

It does take some time for certain people to become available to answer questions.

The first thing I would have checked(by a handyman or plumber)would be the thermocouple.This is the copper looking piece where the flame comes out from the gas line.Typically they fail.. cost of a new piece is minimal.
    If the person who installs this is a professional(plumber,etc),they can tell you if the system is defective,out of dated,etc.It might need replaced.it is 12 years old, that's a pretty good lifespan for a State Heater.
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

May 16, 2010, 06:32 AM

Replace the thermocouple. Try that before replacing the heater. Thermocouples are cheap and easy to replace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Select Gas Hot Water Heater - main burner will not light [ 2 Answers ]

My main burner will not light. After the hot water heater power cycles three times, the hot water heater shuts down and the following error code is displayed: 100110 which the owner's manual says is System Lockout Things I have tried: Repositioned the igniter assembly several times...

State select gas water heater troubleshooting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a State Select gas water heater Model PR 650 NRRTL, 50 gallons unit. The thermocoupler where it suppose to start the unit for heating does not work. The pilot light works but the unit will never start. Do you have any suggestion? Thanks.

Unable to light pilot on "previously" winterized State Select gas water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a home inspector and today inspected a 4 year old home in which the bank had the home winterized.. We turned the gas on and were able to operate the kitchen range, and the gas furnace took about 15 minutes to lite with the electronic ignition continuing to try lite the furnace an eventually...

View more questions Search