Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jplanas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 02:21 PM
    401(k) for non-residents
    I'm retiring (62) after 10 years in NY and will become a NRA living in Spain as of 1/1/07. In order to avoid paying taxes on any withdrawal of my 401(k) I am proposing to do a direct rollover to an IRA and then purchase from there an immediate annuity period certain (say 5 years) without, I believe, incurring in the 20% tax for lump-sum distribution.

As the US-Spain tax treaty (and most other US tax treaties) eliminates withholding for annuity payments (filing a W-8BEN) for Spanish residents, I would then receive the full amount of each yearly payment, although I would have to pay Spanish taxes on them.

Is this a viable set-up? Are my assumptions correct?

Jorge
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 6, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Jorge:

An annuity within an IRA is a BAD idea. Buying an annuity will incur a whole bunch of fees and other cost overhead that simply are not necessary.

The money in the IRA is already tax-deferred. Due to your age, you can pull it out on an incremental basis and pay NO taxes to the U.S. (as long as your annual distribution does not exceed the amount of your personal exemption, currently $3,300). I believe that the same treaty provision that exempts you from withholding on annuity payments also exempts tax withholding on normal IRA distributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401 k [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for borrowing on a 401 k?

US Residents over 18: Don't forget to vote! [ 11 Answers ]

And don't forget the new voting schedule! Republicans vote today. Democrats vote tomorrow. :p :p Just kidding :p :eek: Get out there and vote today, all of you!!

401 K question [ 2 Answers ]

I will be leaving my employer at the end of the month. I intend to roll over my 401k account to an IRA. If I wished to keep what funds I have contributed this year, do the penalties still apply?

401 k portability [ 2 Answers ]

I have been working with a company for 2 years and joined the 401k plan only this month (Jan 2006). I have decided to change companies ,what will happen to the amount deducted from my paycheck towards 401k this month.Can it be transferred to the new companys plan. Iam very new to this 401k...

View more questions Search