Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 14, 2010, 04:01 PM
    How much is my gold worth?
    Hi there.

I have a set of gold that includes the velvet case, 30 grams of gold, and the gold scale. How much is this worth?

Is it going to be more financially beneficial to trade the gold in at a jeweler's or at a cash-for-gold location?

Thanks.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2010, 06:19 PM

It would be hard to say unless your just talking about the 30 grams of gold and you know for sure that it is pure gold. Also when you do find out about pricing see how they measure it. A lot of people buy gold by the ounce but that's not really correct. Gold is usually bought and sold on the open market in <troy> ounces. There is a huge difference. Troy ounce is 20 grams and a ounce weighted is 28 grams. So you can see how fast you could lose money on that exchange.
    Mostly like anything else it's a matter of calling around to get your pricing in the local area and check the at market prices before you go.

Quick refference:

http://goldprice.org/
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 10:40 PM
    Hi, Momma!

By writing, "set of gold", what do you mean that you have, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

May 16, 2010, 10:56 PM

I have gold. They are little discs that say the weight on them and there's a scale. And I was mistaking, it's 20 grams.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 11:31 PM
    Okay. I was thinking that since you mentioned it as being a set, then that it might be jewelry.

Are there any other markings, other than the weight, that might be on them, please?

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

May 16, 2010, 11:33 PM

I don't know. It's at the bank in a safe. I just want to know how much 20 grams of gold is worth.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 11:48 PM
    Since they are in a definite, regular form, it's possible that they might be worth even more as a collectible, in addition to what they might be worth as just gold, depending on the purity of gold that they are.

What I would suggest doing, is checking to see if there's anything else stamped on them besides just the weight. Perhaps there might also be some literature that came with them when you got them?

What 20 grams of gold is worth will vary day by day and will also depend on the purity of the gold.
    Vision Expert

May 16, 2010, 11:52 PM

I see. I will check that as soon as I get the chance.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2010, 11:55 PM
    That would be good! :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 17, 2010, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I don't know. It's at the bank in a safe. I just want to know how much 20 grams of gold is worth.
    My flying leap off the turnip truck is that you could have 1 troy ounce of pure gold. I posted a link for gold pricing and today's market rates at the top.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2010, 12:37 PM

Does you scale look like any of these. balance scale - Google Search Does each disc of gold have a different number ot like 5 grams, 10 grams. 15 grams, etc...
    Vision Expert

May 17, 2010, 12:42 PM

Yes & Yes
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2010, 12:46 PM

I could be wrong but that really sounds more like a balance beam scale and each disc is a weight to be placed on the scale to help measure the weight of whatever you put on the other end of the scale. A jewelry shop probably could tell you pretty quickly if this is even gold at all.
    jdat747 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2011, 11:28 AM
    20 grams of pure gold at today's price <6/8/2011> of $1537 / Oz gives the result 20/31.1 * 1537 = $988.42

Check out this link to find the price on another day:
    http://mayshinter.blogspot.com/

pure gold is 24K just so you know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old scrap gold or jewelry worth $ [ 2 Answers ]

my mother passed on leaving old rings many marked with the gold 14 18... but many of the rings have stones in them... how do I know when the stones are worth more than the value of scrap gold?

How much is my gold chain worth? [ 2 Answers ]

My gold chain is 40 cm long and about 2 cm width. It is 9ct and I'm looking to sell it but would like to know how much it is worth. I don't have any scales so I don't know the weight at all. Thanks, barry

How much is a gold 45 worth [ 1 Answers ]

I have five gold 45's from different singers can you tell me how much they are worth

Gold and it's worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is 4.2 grams of gold worth?

How much is my Ted Williams 23 KT. Gold card worth [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 23 KT Gold Ted Williams Baseball card and I need to know how much it is worth.

View more questions Search