Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdurant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
    What are the laws on inheritance for children of a deceased parent with a living spou
    My brother and I are the only living children of my mother. She passed in 07. Her husband, our step father adopted us as children. Therefore he is our father leagally. The property he and my mother owned together is being mortgaged away to support his gambling habit. He tried to do a reverse mortgage to pull money from the property, however, my brother and I would not sign for this. What can we do to protect our inheritance?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2010, 01:21 PM

The laws vary by state. So first off what state is this in?

Are you or your brother already on the deeds?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 07:51 PM

Do you already own the property? If not then it is his. I hear from way to many people wanting to know how to protect their money that isn't theirs. What state are you in? Does he have a will? Because if he owns the property (not you and your brother) then it is his to do with what he wants. If he wants to gamble way all of his money he can because it is his money. Now, if you and your brother own the property he is staying at is he paying rent? Is there any lease agreement?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased Parent Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find out if my parent left any other monetary assets for me. Does anyone know, how I can find this information?

Louisiana inheritance laws for children [ 4 Answers ]

Couple married for over fifty years in state of Louisiana, and still married. This couple has four natural born children, all children over the age of forty five and still living. None of these children have ever been in trouble with law, drugs, etc. This couple has property, and a little money,...

Timeline for distribution of deceased inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My aunt deceased in oct 09 . My uncle had deceased prior in 06 and in the reading of her will we found out that he had set up in his will for his investments with a certain bank to be divided upon her death which is separate to her will and monies which will be divided also. My question is how...

Calif.Inheritance taxes on savings bonds & Roth Ira direct to Children/Grnd Children? [ 2 Answers ]

In California is there inheritance tax (State or Federal) on savings bonds left to grandchildren or Roth Ira funds left to the children directly and outside of the Living Trust? Is the tax rate higher to the grandchildren than it would be if the bonds were left to the children? Is the tax paid...

CA Inheritance to Grandchild, no will, Mother Deceased. [ 7 Answers ]

My niece's grandmother died without a will in the state of California. Her grandmother had three daughters. Two are living. The third, who was my niece's mother, is deceased. My niece is the only child born to this deceased daughter. According to CA laws will she be entitled to any inheritance from...

View more questions Search