Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

May 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
    Backup Software
    I bought a utility called Rebit Backup Software. It has been compared to Mac's Time Machine. It does the following:
    - Creates backups to external hard drive.
    - Images entire hard drive once a day automatically.
    - Creates daily Recovery Points of disk image so you can roll back PC to an earlier date if needed.
    - Backs up files instantly upon any change, but waits for mouse to be idle for 5 seconds before backing up.
    - Allows you to keep working during imaging and file back ups
    - Overflows oldest files when backup drive gets full

I love this utility, but it has a major flaw that I cannot live with. If there is any power interruption whatsoever, including using Sleep or Standby, pressing power button to shut down PC for an occasional freeze up, or just a random power outage, it corrupts the Rebit program loaded on the PC, it corrupts the backup drive requiring a complete uninstall, formatting of backup drive, and reinstall. This of course means you lose all backed up data and imaging. Worst of all it has even corrupted Windows (XP) on 2 of my PCs.

So I have concluded that this software is too fragile for my continued use.

I am looking for recommendations of another backup program that has the same features, but is more stable. Preferably free.

I use my sleep button a lot and would like to be able to go back to it's use if possible.

I read a bit about the new Acronis True Image 2010 Home, and it sounds like it may have these features, but there wasn't much detail in the 2 articles I read.

Of course, a free utility would be even better. I am not an advanced user, so an intuitive and simple user interface would also be a plus. And the ability to keep working during backups and imaging.

Any recommendations?

Sorry for the long post...
    Thanks
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2010, 09:33 AM

Backup downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Here are a few things to sift through.

May 15, 2010, 05:54 PM

Thanks.

I found a product that sounds good. Never heard of it, and not many downloads.

Anyone know anything about Dmailer Backup 3.0?

Dmailer Backup - Free PC/Mac Backup Software + 2GB Free Online Storage

May 16, 2010, 10:14 AM
    Backup Software for File Saving
    Greetings All.

I apologize in advance, as I posted a similar question several days ago in the "software" section and got no responses, so I'm trying this category as I still consider myself a novice.

Am am running XP SP3.

I bought a utility called Rebit Backup Software. It has been compared to Mac's Time Machine. It has very cool features and does the following:
    - Creates continuous real-time incremental file backups to external hard drive, but waits for mouse to be idle for 5 seconds before backing up.
    - Also Images entire hard drive once a day automatically.
    - Creates daily Recovery Points of disk image so you can roll back PC to an earlier date if needed.

I love this utility, but it is very unstable and caused several crashes on both of my PCs, which required a full HDD reinstall due to corrupted Windows. It has since been uninstalled...

I don't really need full disk imaging since I have a cloned extra HDD for each of my PCs. They are never used and I update them manually now and then with program changes to keep them pristine in case of a crash. Then I can just clone them back and update the files.

I am looking for recommendations for another FILE backup program that has similar features as Rebit, but is more stable. Preferably free.

I was about to use WD Smartware, which I already have on my portable USB backup drives, but the reviews are consistently horrible. So I guess that one is out.

Mainly I want a program that just does file backups
    - Continuous real-time incremental backups would be fantastic
    - Ability to use PC during backups that doesn't slow the computer too much
    - Saves "real" files (not images) in a layout that allows me to easily find them on the backup drive if I only want to retrieve a singe file.
    - Ability to upload files to another PC without installing software on it would be a plus.

Windows Backup Utility sounds OK, but quite basic. I don't even know if I can use the PC during backups.

I also REALLY want incremental real-time back ups that don't slow the PC too much. I make so many changes to my files all day, that even losing an hour's worth of data would hurt.

There's a million programs out there, and I'm going crazy trying to choose one.

Dmailer looks pretty good, but I don't think it does the incremental backups. I've read comments that say it does, and others that say it doesn't.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. (HELP!! )

Thanks
    CapaCapa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    I bought a utility called Rebit Backup Software. It has been compared to Mac's Time Machine. It does the following:
    - Creates backups to external hard drive.
    - Images entire hard drive once a day automatically.
    - Backs up files instantly upon any change, but waits for mouse to be idle for 5 seconds before backing up.

I love this utility, but it has a major flaw that I cannot live with. If there is any power interruption whatsoever, including using Sleep or Standby, pressing power button to shut down PC for an occasional freeze up, or just a random power outage, it corrupts the Rebit program loaded on the PC, it corrupts the backup drive requiring a complete uninstall, formatting of backup drive, and reinstall. This of course means you lose all backed up data and imaging. Worst of all it has even corrupted Windows (XP) on 2 of my PCs.

So I have concluded that this software is too fragile for my continued use.

I am looking for recommendations of another backup program that has the same features, but is more stable. Preferably free.

I use my sleep button a lot and would like to be able to go back to it's use if possible.

I read a bit about the new Acronis True Image 2010 Home, and it sounds like it may have these features, but there wasn't much detail in the 2 articles I read.

Of course, a free utility would be even better. I am not an advanced user, so an intuitive and simple user interface would also be a plus. And the ability to keep working during backups and imaging.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Yeah try Oops!Backup - has versioning, extremely easy to use and great to restore and does differential backups. Relatively new company and it's getting quite a lot of attention.. seems to be a gem - hope it continues to be like that. Time Machine Backup Software for Windows 7, Vista & XP - Includes Desktop Continuous Data Protection and Version Control. Recover Deleted Files and go back in time to recover documents and files

May 27, 2010, 03:46 PM

Thanks Capa,

I read some reviews and everyone seems to like it. There were a few points I couldn't find. Perhaps you can clarify for me.

Are their "continuous backups" instant, or every hour? (Hard to tell from reviews).

Will it backup a file that is open and being used?

If a file is backed up to an external HDD, is it an actual file that can be moved to another PC without loading the Oops!Backup software? Or is it an image or special file?

Are there any file types that it cannot back up? Such as .dbx files for Outlook Express, bookmark files, etc?

Thanks...

May 27, 2010, 03:56 PM

Has anyone used Dmailer backup software?

May 27, 2010, 03:58 PM

(Sorry the link didn't take)

Has anyone used Dmailer backup software?

Dmailer Backup ? Portable Mac & free PC Backup Software ?Secure file protection

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Time machine backup software capabilities [ 1 Answers ]

Can time machine software back up on 2 external hard drives to provide a duplicate hard drive backup? This hopefully would provide insurance for one hard drive failing..

Will downloading apple software cause problems with any Microsoft software [ 1 Answers ]

Have downloaded Itunes software and was wondering if it would cause conflict with my other music and video files

Good Backup Software [ 6 Answers ]

Recently I have started having computer problems and have decided it is time to start backing up my data to one of my external hard drives. Does anyone know a good program that is relatively cheap? (less than $20) Thank you!

Hard drive backup software [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased an external hard drive and I am looking for a good backup software that will allow me to backup my c drive and restore it when a problem does pop up. Any suggestions

View more questions Search