Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherryg1966 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Non biological getting reinbursed from biological father
    A man signed an agknowledement of perturnity. Believing the woman he was the father. They never married. He has been paying child support for 14 years only to find he's not the father and the woman knew this the whole time. In NY he can not go after her for the child support paid by him. Can he find the Biological father and go after him for the support? If so, since she refuses to name the biological father is it leagal to put in the local news paper " Anyone knowing anyone that had a sexual relationship with (her name) during the year 19** - 19**.. Please contact ***?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2010, 09:44 AM

First, why do you say he can't sue the mother for fraud? It's a longshot, but if he can prove she knowingly perpetrated a fraud on him, he might have a case.

Second, why did he not get a paternity test? I would never pay for a child without one.

But putting an ad in the paper like that smacks of a law suit.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2010, 01:29 PM

What has been his relationship with the child over the last 14 years?
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

May 14, 2010, 01:43 PM

I wonder if the best way to go about this particular action would be for the tort of misrepresentation. My guess is that the reason he was told he couldn't "go after" her was because it has been long established that where a person takes on the role of a parent they will be estopped (prevented by law) from denying parentage (child support, housing, etc... ).

I agree with the previous poster, if he can make out the elements of misrepresentation he would have a case--maybe--that would be something he would have to discuss with an attorney in the jurisdiction he is in (or where the child/mother reside).
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2010, 03:08 PM

The problem comes from where the deception took place and who was involved in it. The bio dad if involved in the deception could also be sued. That is why it is important to know the relationship that has gone on between this man and the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2010, 03:59 PM

No, legally the person who agreed to be the father, is legally the father. He has a legal obligation to pay child support. Unless he gets the court order droped, he still has to pay unless he gets the court order changed, In many places he will have to keep paying support even if not the father, since there is only a short period to contest it.

And no he can not go after the other man unless he can prove there was some fraud done on his part.

May 15, 2010, 08:57 AM

I think it's important to differentiate between fraud and misrepresentation. Fraud (generally) is a crime where misrepresentation is a tort. A crime results in jail time where a tort results in money damages.

The person has 3 choices here, go tort only, go criminal only, or do both. I see advantages to not going the criminal route. A family court will look to the best interests of the child (as a general legal principle, but check the jurisdiction) and might decide that while it is unfair to the person who is now legally "father" to have to continue to pay it is still in the best interests of the child to order that he do so.

So, If this person is looking to have justice go the criminal prosecution route, but if he is looking for his money back go the tort route.

The court that deals with torts can not only order repayment of the money already paid but can order payment of future money to be paid--maybe. I mention this because some jurisdictions have specific family courts where a civil court can not interfere with their orders, but this might be a way around the family court order.

Either way, I think the person would then bring the civil court finding that the mother was liable for the tort of misrepresentation and that was the foundation of the agreement that he was the father maybe, maybe the family court would release him (though Im not convinced they would).
    Internet Research Expert

May 15, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adthern View Post
    I think it's important to differentiate between fraud and misrepresentation. Fraud (generally) is a crime where misrepresentation is a tort. A crime results in jail time where a tort results in money damages.

The person has 3 choices here, go tort only, go criminal only, or do both. I see advantages to not going the criminal route. A family court will look to the best interests of the child (as a general legal principle, but check the jurisdiction) and might decide that while it is unfair to the person who is now legally "father" to have to continue to pay it is still in the best interests of the child to order that he do so.

So, If this person is looking to have justice go the criminal prosecution route, but if he is looking for his money back go the tort route.

The court that deals with torts can not only order repayment of the money already paid but can order payment of future money to be paid--maybe. I mention this because some jurisdictions have specific family courts where a civil court can not interfere with thier orders, but this might be a way around the family court order.

Either way, I think the person would then bring the civil court finding that the mother was liable for the tort of misrepresentation and that was the foundation of the agreement that he was the father maybe, maybe the family court would release him (though Im not convinced they would).

I think your bringing confusion into this matter. Family Court is a part of the civil court system. In places where there is separation ( like California) they still have clear cut lines drawn. With the OP remaining the legal father there is nothing to file suit over in a civil court. So the starting point remains with the family court first and foremost. All of this needs to be filtered out before proceeding because if there was deception and participation of a third party then when taken to civil or criminal levels outside of family court there is a clear path. In law there are clear paths taken to designate the makeup of prevailing law and to the separation of powers.

May 16, 2010, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    I think your bringing confusion into this matter. Family Court is a part of the civil court system. In places where there is seperation ( like California) they still have clear cut lines drawn. With the OP remaining the legal father there is nothing to file suit over in a civil court. So the starting point remains with the family court first and foremost. All of this needs to be filtered out before proceeding because if there was deception and participation of a third party then when taken to civil or criminal levels outside of family court there is a clear path. In law there are clear paths taken to designate the makeup of prevailing law and to the seperation of powers.
    I am not sure what you find confusing about my points. While the family court is generally considered to be civil court, here in Massachusetts they have their own jusrisdiction and are completely separate from the civil court dealing with torts.

You are welding two issues together and saying they can not be separated, that's just not true. Attorneys can attack an issue from multiple sides and prevail using strategies that are unconventional. If the OP takes your advice, he goes to family court (where he will almost certainly lose without rock solid proof of misrepresentation--most likely at least a clear and convincing standard, if not a significantly higher standard) and if he fails to win, that's it he is done and can not go anywhere else.

I disagree, a misrepresentation that causes money damages is a tort and can be brought in a straight civil court and won which would get him a judgment for the payments he has made (enforcin that judgment is a whole other matter). I think, armed with a win in either civil or criminal court would increase his odds of prevailing in Family court immensely.

If there is one thing my law school professors have taught me is to look at all possible avenues of attack, not just the straight forward ones.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 17, 2010, 08:01 AM

Hmmm... let's see
    Family court-a very bad idea
    Matter of Shondel J. v Mark D. (2006 NY Slip Op 05238)
    The court also said that fraud and misrepresentation, often used as defenses to the doctrine of equitable estoppel, did not apply. "The legislature did not create an exception for men who take on the role of fatherhood based on the mother's misrepresentation," Rosenblatt wrote. "Under the enactment, the mother's motivation and honesty are irrelevant; the only issue for the court is how the interests of the child are best served."
    /God save us from NIS and Rosenblatt!! /
    Criminal claims-no such cases
    Civil court-Intentional infliction of emotional distress tort claim may have some success.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...00-928&invol=1
    "In the present case, Robert, by contrast, is bringing
    The subsequent action seeking to recover damages in tort for
    The fraud perpetrated upon him by Robin's allegedly outrageous
    Conduct in willfully misrepresenting to Robert that he was
    Adam's father. Robert is not seeking to relitigate the legal finding
    Of paternity made in the dissolution action and is not seeking
    To impact in any way the attendant legal rights and responsibilities
    Associated with the legal finding of paternity.In fact, in
    Presenting his case to prove the alleged torts, part of Robert's
    Proof will necessarily be that there is, indeed, a legal finding of
    Paternity in the dissolution decree. This, in addition to the evidence
    Concerning the biological relationship between Robert
    And Adam, will be necessary to proving the alleged torts. For
    That reason, Robert is not seeking to in any way alter the legal
    Finding of paternity in the dissolution decree.
    Robert is not, however,
    Asking the court to terminate his legal status as Adam's father.
    Robert is asking the court to consider the issues of the lack of a
    Biological relationship with Adam, Robin's alleged conduct
    Leading Robert to believe he was the biological father, and
    Robin's conduct constituting the intentional infliction of emotional
    stress upon Robert.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryg1966 View Post
    A man signed an agknowledement of perturnity. Believing the woman he was the father. They never married. He has been paying child support for 14 years only to find he's not the father and the woman knew this the whole time. In NY he can not go after her for the child support paid by him. Can he find the Biological father and go after him for the support? If so, since she refuses to name the biological father is it leagal to put in the local news paper " Anyone knowing anyone that had a sexual relationship with (her name) during the year 19** - 19**.. Please contact ***?

Not, in NY, no. HE had the opportunity to establish "perturinity" when the child was born, 14 years ago. He didn't take it. There are Court decision to that effect.

He IS the child's legal father in NY.

I can't believe any sane person would consider such an ad - of course, I can't believe any sane person would sign an acknowledgement of paternity without DNA testing.

May 17, 2010, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Hmmm....let's see
    Family court-a very bad idea
    Matter of Shondel J. v Mark D. (2006 NY Slip Op 05238)
    The court also said that fraud and misrepresentation, often used as defenses to the doctrine of equitable estoppel, did not apply. "The legislature did not create an exception for men who take on the role of fatherhood based on the mother's misrepresentation," Rosenblatt wrote. "Under the enactment, the mother's motivation and honesty are irrelevant; the only issue for the court is how the interests of the child are best served."
    /God save us from NIS and Rosenblatt!!!/
    Criminal claims-no such cases
    Civil court-Intentional infliction of emotional distress tort claim may have some success.

FindLaw | Cases and Codes
    "In the present case, Robert, by contrast, is bringing
    the subsequent action seeking to recover damages in tort for
    the fraud perpetrated upon him by Robin’s allegedly outrageous
    conduct in willfully misrepresenting to Robert that he was
    Adam’s father. Robert is not seeking to relitigate the legal finding
    of paternity made in the dissolution action and is not seeking
    to impact in any way the attendant legal rights and responsibilities
    associated with the legal finding of paternity.In fact, in
    presenting his case to prove the alleged torts, part of Robert’s
    proof will necessarily be that there is, indeed, a legal finding of
    paternity in the dissolution decree. This, in addition to the evidence
    concerning the biological relationship between Robert
    and Adam, will be necessary to proving the alleged torts. For
    that reason, Robert is not seeking to in any way alter the legal
    finding of paternity in the dissolution decree.
    Robert is not, however,
    asking the court to terminate his legal status as Adam’s father.
    Robert is asking the court to consider the issues of the lack of a
    biological relationship with Adam, Robin’s alleged conduct
    leading Robert to believe he was the biological father, and
    Robin’s conduct constituting the intentional infliction of emotional
    stress upon Robert.
    Thank you for the post, makes my point clearly--though jurisdictions adopt different law so the OP needs to consult an attorney where this will be tried and deal with the collateral issues and see if this argument works in that jurisdiction.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 18, 2010, 02:38 AM

Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    With the OP remaining the legal father there is nothing to file suit over in a civil court.
    Repectfully disagree
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    JudyKayTee agrees : That's his specialty, complicating things. Check the other posts - nothing is simple.
    The things are complicated and really nothing is simple

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My biological Father [ 14 Answers ]

I need to find my biological father. I haven't seen him since I was about 2years old. I have very little information to go on, and I have tried sited like genesreunited etc and Im getting nowhere, I need help to find him and I need it fast, can anyone give me advice on how to do it.

Is a biological mother responsible to repay child support to a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of a child was in a relationship with 2 men at the same time, she became pregnant. She married one of the men who has raised the child as his own and now they are divorced and he pays child support. The other man has wanted to know for years (8) if he is the biological father but...

Non-biological father wanting to sign off rights so the biological father [ 15 Answers ]

I was pressured into signing as the father to my now ex girlfriends baby, she's now back with the biological father and we're trying to find out how I can sign the rights over so that the biological father can have rights of his baby. How would we go about signing off my rights, and would anything...

View more questions Search