Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    altoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 06:24 AM
    Pergola Project
    Hello,

I'm sure this must be tiring for some in answering these sort of questions, but I've searched and googled and bribed friends for information, but the answers I'm getting do not solve my puzzle.

So, here goes. I have a brand new house with a big yard. I live in Delaware Ohio where recently we had thunderstorms with wind gusts of up to 50Mph. We get lots of snow and during summers it gets plenty hot.

We've recently completed a 20x15 paver patio, and would very much like to build a pergola over it. Now, if you would imagine that the paver patio is 20 feet long and 15 feet wide, it's perpendicular to our house. I would like to build the pergola parallel to the house, meaning 20 feet wide by 15 feet across. The pergola and the patio would become a plus sign, so to speak.

My questions:

1. Using just 4 6x6 posts, how do I construct this project?
    2. Is the standard here of 3 feet deep concrete post hole enough?
    3. Would it be safe to build using simpsons tie cbsq (CBSQ Column Bases) for the posts?
    4. How do I support either 2x10s or 2x12s across the 20 foot span? Metal braces?

I would like this to be an investment for the next 10 years or so. Thank you in advance for you valuable answer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2010, 07:46 AM

I think your frost line in Ohio is more like 42" but you will need a permit and the local building department can give you more help. I think your spans are very big for only 4 support columns. How to Build a Wood Pergola : How-To : DIY Network if you want more try this How to build a pergola or arbor Google "How to build a pergola" ypou will have more info than you can read
    bengone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2010, 10:41 AM

I agree with "ballengerb1". Your spans are too big for 4 support columns. If you need detailed information you should take a look at pergola building plans. You should be able to solve your problems.
    kryostar Posts: 108, Reputation: 11

Aug 29, 2010, 01:52 AM

my opinion four post would work if you brace with 3-4 foot 6x6 at a 45 from post to stringers, sandwich posts and brace's with the 2x12's, some Simpson styles are nice to use and required by building codes,but you may not need a permit if it's not attached to house. You will need a beefy 1/2 drill with a long wood bit,12 in. long 3/4 or 7/8 dia. Nail stringers temp. drill a #5 holes to bolt 2x12's to posts, use big washers,as for post in ground or Simpson base, cost is much higher with Simpson base. A rule of thumb 1/3 post height in ground. Slightly bell shaped post holes,bigger at bottom. Rod concrete well for density and good adhesion. Crown all your lumber. Hand pick your lumber well, redwood wouldn't need sealer Doug fir would and is a bit stronger,your personal pref. have fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding pergola to existing deck [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 12' x 16' deck. Construction is 2x10 ledger attached to house and two 2x10 beams sandwiched around three 6x6 posts (posts are set in concrete piers 4' deep). The beams are set in (cantilevered) about 15" from the outside edge of the deck. The joists are 16" on center and are 2x8's. ...

Ceiling Fan Installation for Pergola [ 1 Answers ]

When the weather begins to warm up a bit I would like to build a deck with an integrated pergola. This will be part of a larger project and the plans have been produced by an architect. We would like to install a ceiling fan into the pergola, but that it turning out to be more complicated than I...

Pergola installed on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a pergola on my concrete patio, if this can be done, how can I secure the posts to the existing concrete?

My new project. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Im working on a type of scrapbooking project. My boyfriend and I will be celebrating our anniversary soon and I want to make a special scrapbook for him. I read this idea in another site which consists on different kind of pictures from all over the world, so I'd like to ask kind...

VB Project [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a project that I have to do with vb Write a 5-6 question quiz with each question true or false. You may place the questions in text boxes or labels, and may use the visible property to display one box at a time if you wish. Decide how you want the user to input the answer (your choice,...

View more questions Search