Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yukonxl04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Speedometer issue
    I have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL. The speedometer increases in 2-3 mph increments in town. On the Highway it reads incorrect at any speed. I.E. if I start at 70 after 5-10 min it reads 60 and anytime you slow down it goes down even more, sometimes it reads 0mph when at highway speeds. I was asked by a buddy if the odometer still works and it does. Can aany one help out on this? I was told that they no longer use cables, it is all electronic. Please help. Trying to save money. Thanks.
    travman514 Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Dec 8, 2006, 08:22 PM
    Isn't it still covered under warranty?it's a 2004 so it should be.they shouldn't charge you anything and they should give you a loaner car if you ask for one.im not experienced with electronic speedometer cables but there should be some type of sensor on or in the tranny that is bad. That's just a guess. Buy a chiltons or hayes manual for your car and even if you can't fix this particular problem the book will come in very handy!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2006, 08:45 PM
    I'm not sure about your vehicle, but, if it were a Civic and the odometer and trip meter work, but the speedometer does not, you would check out the speedometer and the printed circuit board. If nothing worked, then a blown fuse or the Variable Speed Sensor would need to be checked.

I'm giving you this illustration so you can have an idea of what's involved. I've had some experience with problem speedometers and it takes patience and determination to win. You have a new vehicle, so part availability will not be a problem. It's not a picnic removing most gauge assemblies. I'd recommend taking it to a GM dealer, unless you are "adventuresome."
    yukonxl04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2006, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    I'm not sure about your vehicle, but, if it were a Civic and the odometer and trip meter work, but the speedometer does not, you would check out the speedometer and the printed circuit board. If nothing worked, then a blown fuse or the Variable Speed Sensor would need to be checked.

I'm giving you this illustration so you can have an idea of what's involved. I've had some experience with problem speedometers and it takes patience and determination to win. You have a new vehicle, so part availability will not be a problem. It's not a picnic removing most gauge assemblies. I'd recommend taking it to a GM dealer, unless you are "adventuresome."
    Thanks for the advise, someone told me the "VSS" would not be the problem if the odometer worked. Could it be possible that it is a fuse? If so, where would I start to look?
    I travel a little so even though it is an 04 it currently is sitting at 53000 miles, hence "out of warranty" I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of work myself but I get nervous when it come to the DASH. Would the scanner show an error code that would tell what is wrong if hooked up? I have a buddy that has one. Thanks again for any help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Use a test light or multimeter to check all under-dash and under-hood fuses. This is a good skill for you to develop. Set DMM on DCV and touch each fuse test point with a test lead. It's faster, more accurate, and eliminates the possibility of replacing the fuse in the wrong slot, which is easy to do in the dark, cramped location of many under-dash fuse boxes. A speedometer-related fuse would most likely be in the under-dash fuse box, which is probably located to the left of the steering column.

It's a good idea to hook up a scanner.
    jeffrey4 Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Mar 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonxl04
    i have a 2004 GMC Yukon XL. The speedometer increases in 2-3 mph increments in town. On the Highway it reads incorrect at any speed. I.E. if i start out at 70 after 5-10 min it reads 60 and anytime you slow down it goes down even more, sometimes it reads 0mph when at highway speeds. i was asked by a buddy if the odometer still works and it does. Can aany one help out on this? I was told that they no longer use cables, it is all electronic. Please help. Trying to save money. Thanks.
    Try logging onto lemonaidcars.com and see if there are any routes you can take from there. Also, if anyone's had any intake manifold gasket problems like I've had, you can also get some answers at this website. Gmc is supposed to have a secret warranty on this. Reply if so.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Mar 30, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Yes, check for codes, it might show up as a pending speed sensor code.
    A side note: My 2000 Nissan Altima had was plagued with speedo/odometer problems
    That occurred nearly every day for 1 1/2 years. The VSS was replaced with no change in
    Symptoms however shortly after a Trans fluid change the problem went away and has not come back, that was 6 months ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'93 Civic Dashboard lights / Speedometer issue [ 14 Answers ]

Greetings all, so here's the problem. I have a 1993, Honda Civic SI, Canadian Built. I bought it 2nd hand last year. It has an ongoing problem with the Dashboard lights and speedometer. - Dashboard lights - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Will be driving along, and all the guages...

Speedometer problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1982 chev impala station wagon pretty plain, 305 v8 and 3 speed auto with lockup. I am having an ongoing problem with its speedometer. Originally the problem was a really jerky needle. It would go up the gauge fine until I would hit say 70km, as soon as I let off the gas the needle...

Speedometer Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have 94 Nissan Altima. I noticed that in the morning (when car is cold), when I start my car speedometer shows speed of 40 mph and odometer also moves up as if I am driving at 40 mph. Ideal speed is low (1000 rpm). I don't see this problem when car is warm. Any idea what could be the...

View more questions Search