Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeyr56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 10:30 PM
    If I am a independent contractor and I get fired do I still get paid?
    I was fired as an independent contractor yesterday for no reason. I fulfilled my obligation to the employer as far as the work goes. She is now telling me that she does not have to pay me and that I have no right to the money to be collected. I deliver a small newspaper to about 45 convenience stores. Last Thursday I delivered a little over 1000 papers to these stores and it took me about 8 to 9 hrs to do. We are paid every Thursday when we deliver a new edition, which I did. The vendors pay us for the previous week in cash. We are to take our pay and give the rest to the owner of the company. Well now that I have been terminated I have no way of collecting my pay. Can she do that to me. I invested time and gas money to do this job, which by the way I love to do.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

May 12, 2010, 10:45 PM

Do you have any type of a written contract? If you do then you have that as an asset.

In any case if you performed your duties then you should be paid. But as an independent contractor you will not receive any unemployment compensation.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 10:50 PM
    Hi, mikeyr56!

If the vendors pay you in cash, then that would lessen a "paper trail".

However, do the vendors need to sign anything as to how many papers were delivered and whether they were delivered?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Independent Contractor not being paid! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... I worked as an independent contractor(fitness sales consultant) for a few gyms, ran by the same 3 owners. We had known each other about a year and it was my first attempt on working for myself, so there was no written contract formed, only expectations of salary, bonus structure,...

New independent contractor getting paid on 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I got laid off in January. In March, I got a temporary job working as a contractor for 3 months. I will be making around $10k during this period. Can I invest all in Self Employed 401k so I don't have to pay any taxes? If I invest all the money in Self Employed 401k then Do I have to pay SS and...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I will be an taking on an independent contractor position with an at-home call center company. This will be a part-time job. I have never been an independent contractor before and want to make sure I don't get myself in trouble or receive a big tax bill. Do I need to let the IRS...

Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

Fall 2006,I found a great job through a staffing agency. The job is Office Manager with a very small service firm. After 2 weeks the company "bought" me from the agency for several thousand dollars. To meet their budget needs, they offered to bring me to their staff as an independent contractor...

Independent Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

I am about to begin working online as an independent contractor. I understand that I will receive a 1099 MISC form at the end of the year. That's about all I understand. I live in Arkansas, and I was wondering... what percentage of what I make do I need to put up for taxes? And what if I would...

View more questions Search