Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:12 PM

Every living creature in the water and onshore in the Gulf area will be dead. The underwater plant life will be dead. The coral reefs of Florida will be dead. The coral reefs of the Bahamas will be dead.

This area was planned for "people removal" way back in 2005 with Katrina. Now it's being said that millions of people will be displaced and evacuated from this area completely. The benzene fumes are enough to kill people if inhaled and there is no known minimum level of just how much benzene can be tolerated by a human being (or any animal for that matter). This entire area will be barren and dead shortly.

This oil well disaster was actually a man made disaster caused by explosives that were deliberately set off. The BP folks are dictatating to the USA just what kind of toxic dispersant can be used and REFUSE to use any less toxic dispersant instead. What sort of lunacy is this?? Our fluffy headed president said that he had seen a bird flying with oil on its wings. A bird with oil on it's wings cannot fly! And this is what for empty headed president we have! He's more interested in what ball team players play on than the entire southern United States is literally being destroyed and the good probability that the Gulf Stream taking this toxic brew into the Atlantic and on to Europe. If you think England's a nice place now, just wait a few months and their wild life and their fish will all be dead as ours will be shortly.

This is just another man made disaster to make more people richer. I find it most interesting that Warren Buffet conveniently bought up a lot of stock in the very company that is supplying this extremely toxic dispersant. Odd, wouldn't you say? Or is it just too, too coincidental for such a thing to happen?

And if we have a busy hurricane season as they are now predicting, don't you think that a lot of this oil soaked Gulf surface water is going to be sucked up into these intense storms and brought ashore to then rain upon the interior lands of the southern and northeastern areas of the US causing death to the growing crops, the forests, and wild animals living there?

More people should be outraged at the complete LACK of curtailing this toxic oil from spreading... Letting the politicians yak on endlessly about this is going to cause the worst environmental crisis in the entire world. The Exxon Valdez disaster was not even close to this as it was just ONE tanker not a pipeline spewing toxic oil. The Exxon Valdez ruined the fishing in that area for at least 15 years. There are still pockets of oil blobs at the shoreline that are trapped under the sand to this day.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 27, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    i believe this.

i also believe geological time and human time arent one and the same. that its simplistic to say this is a mistake that can be corrected in time... and that its wrong to think that the time it might take wont have a dramatic impact on this region as we know it.

we could set off an H bomb in chicago. eventually nature would persist. thats still little comfort for the dead.
    A really cool book to read is The World Without Us --

Amazon.com: The World Without Us (9780312347291): Alan Weisman: Books
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Thisisit is correct about the wildlife. The jury is still out about long-term effects. There are indications of albinism, strange tree growth, changes in animal functioning, but generally herds and flocks are flourishing.
    The town of Chernobyl is literally closed period. You are not permitted to enter unless you have a permit and a full radiation suit.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    A really cool book to read is The World Without Us --

Amazon.com: The World Without Us (9780312347291): Alan Weisman: Books
    I just realized I find girls who recommend books to read to be sexy. I mean that the girls are sexy who recommend... ah, never mind...

Just saying.

On with the everything in the gulf dead thread.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Our fluffy headed president said that he had seen a bird flying with oil on its wings. A bird with oil on it's wings cannot fly!!
    The President is correct -- birds with oil on their wings CAN fly. It depends on how much oil. From Greenspace, May 20, 2010: Biologist James Harris, with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services, has spent two decades at the Breton National Wildlife Refuge. “We've found 3 [live] oiled birds so far,” he tells a small group of journalists on a tour. “You can't go chasing the lightly oiled birds through the nesting areas, because they can still fly. Trying to rescue them can disturb the other birds. If the pelican nests are disturbed, the eggs can get kicked out of the nests. The gulls will eat them.”

Yes, this oil spill is a horrible disaster. A great deal of wildlife will be lost, people will lose their jobs and careers, their livelihoods. Once the gushing has been stopped, cleanup will begin, has already begun. This disaster will be felt for generations. But birds with some oil on their wings can still fly.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 02:30 AM

Hello again:

Yes, the EARTH will survive - your point?? Personally, I'm more concerned with my grandchildren than rocks... You? Not so much.

excon
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 28, 2010, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Yes, the EARTH will survive - your point????? Personally, I'm more concerned with my grandchildren than rocks.... You? Not so much.

excon
    Up early Ex?

Your grandchildren will be fine as far as this goes. The Gulf is used to this. You don't even hear about the bigger spill down there anymore.

Ixtoc I oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, occasionally someone mentions that the floor of the Gulf leaks oil naturally.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    By the way, occaisionally someone mentions that the floor of the Gulf leaks oil naturally.
    Morning, Cats:

My butt leaks gas naturally too, but that doesn't make it all right.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2010, 03:28 AM

Re natural seepage :
    Authorities estimate that the amount of oil in reservoirs on the continental shelves of the world total 2 trillion barrels. It is also estimated that possibly less than 1% of all hydrocarbons ever generated become entrapped in a reservoir. To account for 2 trillion barrels of oil reserves, 198 trillion barrels would have to be initially formed.

The pervasive theory of seepage states that the entire surface area of a source bed is available for hydrocarbon migration, and that the entire surface area of an offshore basin may be available for seepage. Tar globs and fragments and oil droplets have been recovered in dredges and cores from every physiographic province in the Gulf of Mexico. Pervasive seepage of 0.1 bbl/day/ 1000 sq mi in the Gulf of Mexico would produce 18,250 barrels/year. Using Week's (1965) estimate of 6,170,000 sq mi of potential petroleum bearing area for the continental shelves of the world, and assuming the same seepage rate per 1000 sq mi, would produce 225,205 barrels/year. This rate could be sustained for 879 million years.
    Tar Balls Is in the Sea:A New Source Concept

Archaeological reports indicate that the Karankawa Indians were using tar in their pottery making in pre-Columbian times. Pottery making in pre-Columbian times. Survivors of DeSoto's group used tar found along the Texas-Louisiana coast to caulk their boats. From 1902 to 1909 heavy oil slicks were noted in an area about 100 miles south of the Louisiana coast. Oil spouting into the air was reported in the same area in 1909. Oil ponds off the Sabine area are reported in a USGS publication in 1903. Publication in 1903. Reports of seeps in the Gulf are numerous, and the Department's study has located several general areas of seepage within and around the Gulf of Mexico.
    Natural Hydrocarbon Seepage in the Gulf of Mexico

Kennicutt says the watersealing properties of tar were also discovered along the Texas Gulf Coast, where native Indians used the substance to coat canoes and boats.
    The Secret Of Mummy Embalming

Texas Primer: The Tar Ball: Texas Monthly August 1987
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2010, 05:20 AM

Florida tar balls not from Gulf spill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am MBA with two years experience in sales and marketing,I need a job in gulf countr [ 1 Answers ]

I am MBA with two years experience in sales and marketing,I need a job in gulf countries,so please help me for the same.thanks.

Do we have an armada in the Persian Gulf? [ 8 Answers ]

I just read an article by Gary North that says the US and Allies have an armada in the Persian Gulf, and that there is a news black-out in Western countries. What have you who are careful observers heard about it? The article paints a very bad picture.

Movie in Waterfront Gulf? Bar, writer, shootout at end [ 2 Answers ]

Pre-2001 movie with a Nick Nolte/William Hurt - type who might be a writer who leaves city life for a Gulf Bar-restaurant; lives in the back room, watching videos? Woman interest is a Helen Hunt/Laura Dern - type. Something about a phone booth outside the bar-restaurant; place's name might be a...

Persian Gulf Oil Spill [ 4 Answers ]

I'm doing a small report on the oil spill. The persian gulf oil spill. I've a few questions. What caused the spill? What was the effect? If anyone knows, please help. Thanks.

View more questions Search