Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

May 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
    Now that the Gulf of Mexico is ruined...
    I'm concerned that in addition to allowing millions of gallons of oil to pour into the water, BP is also adding undisclosed amounts of chemical dispersant, which may or may not be even worse than the oil. I am concerned that this disaster is going to be swept out into the Atlantic and possibly contaminate the Oceans around the world. I don't think they are trying hard enough to stop the flow, nor do I think they are doing enough to try to collect the oil that has spilled and continues to spill. I wonder why they don't have the technology to put big suction hoses down there and suck it up at the source. I don't really understand why they can't suck up the oil where it is spilling and filter the oil from the water before the water is released back into the gulf. Since they apparently can't suck it up and they don't know how to stop it, wouldn't it be the right thing to shut down other off shore oil rigs until we catch up with technology that could stop a disaster like this from happening again?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 05:23 PM

After 2 days of hearings the US Senate has come to a consensus that the blow out preventer was faulty... duh .I'm sure there are several US Senators who are experts on oil well pressures.

In the category of never let a crisis go to waste ;Sen Lurch Kerry repackaged his cap and trade bill as an "energy bill" and reintroduced it today.

"The challenges we face - underscored by the immense tragedy in the Gulf of Mexico - are reason to redouble our efforts to reform our nation's energy policies," Mr Obama said.
    BBC News - Deepwater Horizon blowout preventer 'faulty' - Congress

The answer to your question is that there are risks involved in all current energy creation. But we need to continue to exploit existing sources to bridge the gap to a time when the sciencefiction sources will be widely employed.

So ,we need to find the cause ;correct the deficiencies,clean up the mess... and forge ahead.

May 12, 2010, 05:35 PM

Somehow, to me, 'tragedy' is not the right word. Criminal disaster sounds more like it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 06:23 PM

So, why did "they" modify the BOP so one of the safety systems didn't work? Why did "they" try to activate a system that was disabled, after the "failure"?

This should read, "Why did "they" try to activate a system that was made broken prior to the blowout, after the blowout?

Why didn't the BOP go through testing prior to cementing which is inheranty a risky procedure? That would have surely picked up the dead battery.

Where is the finger pointing now?

Did you notice that there were very few BP employees on the rig? I think it was less than a dozen.

EDIT: Added a necessary comma and the stuff in italics.

May 12, 2010, 06:44 PM

I didn't notice that. :( I'm not sure I would use BP gas even if they were giving it away free, now. I take that back, I am sure I wouldn't and won't use BP gas.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 06:57 PM

Made a couple of changes to my post. It was difficult to follow and ambiguous.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2010, 10:58 PM
    I think you have to keep perspective in these things. It is Murphy's Law that if a thing can fail it will fail, and when you try to fix, it you will fail. Murphy was an optimist.

So, it is unfortunate that a billion dollar industry is affected by this, but if you take away the oil supply you will destroy many billion dollar industries. What this says is there must be much more rigorous testing and certification of safety systems.

The reality is that the technology doesn't exist to control ocean currents so no matter what they do some oil may escape to the Atlantic. Nature has it's own control mechanism and it can deal with smaller quantities
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2010, 02:36 AM

Clete excellent response.

Nature in fact routinely leaks large qty of oil into the Gulf .

Natural Oil Seeps in the Gulf of Mexico

Oil in the Sea III: Inputs, Fates, and Effects

In fact ;under normal conditions (present disaster excluded ) the natural seepage represents a significant percentage of all petroleum in the Gulf of Mexico.

People in the Gulf were using tar to coat their boats long before off shore drilling ever happened.

An argument made is that extraction of the oil releaves the pressure on the natural vents .

Now ;how does nature react ? Nature cleanses ; heals itself and survives.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 13, 2010, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Clete excellent response.
    Hello tom:

Yeah, you and that Rush Limprod dude think it OK because oil is NATURAL. Bwa, ha ha ha ha.

excon

May 13, 2010, 06:25 AM

I am familiar with Murphy's Law, thanks for reminding me. Makes me more sure than ever that off shore oil drilling and operating rigs should stop until technology to clean up an 'accident' catches up with our ability to blow a gasket.

I was unaware that oil is naturally vented on the sea floor... but, oil rig extraction does NOT appear to relieve pressure, otherwise why would oil be gushing (seemingly under high pressure) from the broken BP well?

Anyone know of a list of all oil companies that have offshore rigs?
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2010, 07:02 AM

Today a natural gas rig went down off Venezuela . We can regulate it to death and that still will not guarantee that it is risk free.
    We can ban all drilling off our coast and that won't prevent deep sea drilling by other nations in the Gulf. In fact ,Russian and Chinese drilling is going to happen off the Florida keys . Do we know what procedures and regulations they fall under ?

Most of the known oil reserves are owned by nations ,and nations are going to continue to drill because it is a product they can exploit for revenue . But the known reserves are not enough to satisfy demand;and there is no foreseeable time frame where alternatives will replace the need for carbon based fuel as the primary energy supply. Thus the alternative is to drill and explore in deeper seas until such time that alternative become a realistic alternative.

Not every disaster can be anticipated . No doubt corrections and procedures will be initiated to prevent similar spills from occurring . But ;the next disaster will not be the same as the last one and the kewpie dance of finger pointing and pontificating will happen again before the blowhards announce that a newer safer system is in place... and so on and so on.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello tom:

Yeah, you and that Rush Limprod dude think it ok because oil is NATURAL. Bwa, ha ha ha ha.

excon
    EX you may also realise then that CO2 is natural and that nature also has it's own mechanisms for dealing with it. You can live your life in the backwoods with a campfire to provide heat and light and a donkey for transport or you can take advantage of oil and the products that come withit. If you do you might have to get your hands dirty now and again. It's another inconvenient truth
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 04:21 AM

I have been somewhat involved at the local level in the decision making process for construction projects. The one common feature of these has been that the proposer of the project was required to submit a detailed Environmental Imapct Statement for public perusal and comment.

It now turns out that the Obama Dept of the Interior's Minerals Management Service (MMS) permitted BP to proceed with the Deepwater Horizon project granting a waiver for the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) on April 6, 2009... essentially bypassing approved regulations ,ignoring their oversight resonsibilities ,and rubberstamping the project.

This raises issues about the competency of Interior Sec Ken Salazar and staffers such as (vacation... happy to get away) Tommy Strickland .

It appears that Salazar is quite competent at rhetoric ,but may not be so competent in performance of his job. He came into office saying that he would move MMS in a different direction after claiming it was too cozy with industry.But under Salazar the agency apparently granted all types of exemptions to standard regulatory control.

Not only that ;but according to ABC's Jake Tapper ;even after the spill ,the MMS continues to grant “categorical exclusions” for oil companies, allowing them to bypass the last stage of environmental review before proceeding with drilling projects.
    Interior Department Continues to Issue ?Categorical Exclusions? for Oil Drilling, Administration Official Acknowledges - Political Punch

Kierán Suckling, executive director of the Tucson, Arizona-based Center for Biological Diversity, told ABC News that the Interior Department is in fact able to conduct reviews in 30 days, as they do in Alaska.

“They have 30 days and instead they do an approval in 24 hours” with the exemption, Suckling said. “They're just rubber-stamping this stuff.”

Suckling said in a statement that MMS officials have “learned absolutely nothing from this national catastrophe. (MMS) is still illegally exempting dangerous offshore drilling projects in the Gulf of Mexico from all environmental review. It is outrageous and unacceptable.”
    This isn't a case of not enough regulation. It is an example of a bloated Federal bureaucracy in action.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    This isn't a case of not enough regulation. It is an example of a bloated Federal bureaucracy in action.
    Hello tom:

Nahh... BLOAT has nothing to do with it... POLITICS has EVERYTHING to do with it. This wasn't a file getting lost in a big stack of files. This was PURPOSELY done. Yes, the agency FAILED. But, I suspect it's because the Bush managers weren't shown the door when Obama took over. Giving the oil industry a blank check is NOT a Democratic thing. It IS a Republican thing.

Either way, it shows a lack of management, and Obama is in charge.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 04:41 AM

Well that's the problem with government in general. You have heard me complain before that bureaucracies remain entrenched regardless of who is in charge.

Salazar actually has a decent proposal if he follows though with it... separating the fee and licensing collection from the enforcement parts of the agency. This I believe should be done across the board with all Federal agencies
    The Associated Press: Salazar names 2 to oversee agency restructuring

May 14, 2010, 06:06 AM

Well, not that I was planning on it in the near future... though I have gone to the gulf on many vacations, from South Padre Island to South Florida, I'm not going to go on vacation to the gulf of Mexico, again, possibly ever. All those who live in the area who count on tourist dollars have lost big time. Plus all the killed sea life... I know there was a dead zone there already, but this could not have helped at all.

Those who gave BP a 'pass' as well as BP owners should be held accountable. I hope they are.
    Michelle513 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 05:15 PM
    This is it... Everyone should read Revelation (8:8-11),(16:3),(18:9-19). It says it all, and what we're to expect!
    Michelle513 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 05:15 PM
    This is it... Everyone should read Revelation (8:8-11),(16:3),(18:9-19). It says it all, and what we're to expect!
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 05:30 PM

Well, at least President Obama is angry at the finger-pointing.

It just seems very stupid to disable a critical safety device and then do a potentially hazardous operation and it also seems stupid to use water rather than the thick mix.

Note, the most recent logs are convieniently missing. Time for a black box recorder or a ship nearby or transmit the info wirelessly.

May 14, 2010, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Well, at least President Obama is angry
    ... at long last. I can't help but feel his reaction is much too little way too late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am MBA with two years experience in sales and marketing,I need a job in gulf countr [ 1 Answers ]

I am MBA with two years experience in sales and marketing,I need a job in gulf countries,so please help me for the same.thanks.

Do we have an armada in the Persian Gulf? [ 8 Answers ]

I just read an article by Gary North that says the US and Allies have an armada in the Persian Gulf, and that there is a news black-out in Western countries. What have you who are careful observers heard about it? The article paints a very bad picture.

Movie in Waterfront Gulf? Bar, writer, shootout at end [ 2 Answers ]

Pre-2001 movie with a Nick Nolte/William Hurt - type who might be a writer who leaves city life for a Gulf Bar-restaurant; lives in the back room, watching videos? Woman interest is a Helen Hunt/Laura Dern - type. Something about a phone booth outside the bar-restaurant; place's name might be a...

Persian Gulf Oil Spill [ 4 Answers ]

I'm doing a small report on the oil spill. The persian gulf oil spill. I've a few questions. What caused the spill? What was the effect? If anyone knows, please help. Thanks.

View more questions Search