Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mftaylor2 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 07:30 PM

Update
    Charlotte is on Benadryl and it is helping. She still has some scratching but it doesn't seem as bad.
    She's still on her hypoallergenic, homemade diet and is doing very well. We have introduced chicken and no problems with that. I did give her some peanut butter the other day and she ate something off my mother's floor. The next day she was sick. Wouldn't eat and very bad gas. Not sure if it was the peanut butter or the mystery snack. I'm staying away from peanut butter for now anyway.
    Charltte still has a cough due to her heart problems. The vet has upped her meds again and if it doesn't stop she has to go back in a couple of weeks for more x-rays.
    Overall she's doing very well, although she is not back to her old self and we're wondering if she ever will. It's like our 12 year dog went from energetic puppy to old tired dog in a month. Sigh.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 20, 2010, 07:39 PM

12 years, is a good life Michelle. Just remember that! :)

Thanks for the update, glad to hear she is doing better.

Jul 30, 2010, 11:47 AM

Ok, thought about starting a new thread but figured all the background info is already here.

Had Charlotte to the vet today because she is still coughing even after her meds were increased. The vet took another x-ray to check for fluid build-up related to her congestive heart failure. The x-rays appear clear but my vet thinks she may have lungworm and this could be causing the cough. Glad that it's not fluid build-up considering she's almost taking the max medication for that now. My question is can she have lungworm even if I'm treating her with advantage multi? I thought that covered lungworm and she was only treated with it 2 weeks ago. It does not refer to lungworm on the box (unless it's under another name) but on-line it says it treats for lungworm. I have deworming meds to put her on now (along with all the other meds she's on).

Also, we had her heart murmur checked and it has gotten much worse within this last month. Last month the vet said on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being low Charlotte was a 1-2, today she's coming in at 4-5. She has recommeneded getting an ultrasound of her heart to determine the best course of treatment. I have to travel over an hour for this test and it's going to cost almost $500.00.

I have to say I love my dog. I want her to be healthy, happy and comfortable but I'm starting to wonder if all these meds, tests, and various diagnosis are doing her any good in the long run.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Dogs Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 11:56 AM

At this point Michelle, the decision in your alone. You know her better than anyone here. No one can help you make that decision.

I have my doubts about it being a lung worm, but I know that her heart murmur can cause her to cough more. Is the vet not taking the murmur into consideration with all the coughing?

Jul 30, 2010, 12:19 PM

My vet has never made any suggestion of the heart murmur being associated with the coughing. In the beginning she has said the coughing is likely due to fluid build-up from congestive heart failure and based on the x-rays.
    Now she says that with the new x-ray it may be due to lungworm or irritation of the trachea. She says that although the murmur is worse the heart is not any larger then it was before.
    She seems to talk about the murmur as a different aspect from the coughing and congestive heart failure.

On another note. I'm not suggesting stopping further treatments or meds, especially if it will help Charlotte in the long run, but I'm wondering if everything so far has been necessary or if it comes down to I'm willing to pay so she's getting more expensive options and treatments that may not be needed or in her best interest.
    I think I'm starting to lose a little faith with so much happening in so little time. She went from being great to having a cough, diagnosed with kennel cough and treated. The steroids made her worse and she had trouble breathing. Then diagnosed with congestive heart failure and fluid build-up. Treated. Cough remained, increased the meds. Still on ear drops and benadryl for allergies as well as diet restrictions. Back to the vet and now suggested ultrasound for the heart and lungworm for the cough, even though being treated with advantage multi.
    I guess I'm starting to feel like the vet hasn't been right and we're just trying all these different possibilities.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 01:11 PM

You could try another vet, get a second opinion. Your vet seems to be guessing and checking, which is expensive! Ask around another vet may know more.

Jul 30, 2010, 01:24 PM

I've considered that but then I'm practically starting all over again. This is the third vet we've been too, although the only vet lately for the recent problems. I had one I liked last year, but really out of the way for me so I got 1 closer. Wasn't too happy with her so got this one at the same clinic after an emergency appointment. She seemed good but now I'm wondering.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 02:08 PM

Just go to another vet and say what the problems are with her (the ones you know forsure) and then tell them the other symptoms and ask what they think it is... They may have a suggestion or two to bring up with the other vet.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 2, 2010, 12:26 PM

Lady has a heart Murmur, and one of the symptoms of the murmur is coughing! I know it would feel like starting all over again, but you can get your records and try another vet.

Aug 10, 2010, 07:41 AM

Update:
    I took Charlotte to another vet and it was pretty much the same, although she was much more helpful in explaining things and she did say that the cough may not go away completely.
    Now I'm trying to decide if she should have the ultrasound or not. I'm leaning towards not. I understand it's only a diagnostic test, it won't fix her, it will only help pinpoint her problem and then maybe give us a better course of treatment if any. We have already decided we will not put her through surgery, she's 12 and I don't know how well she would handle it. Also, talking with the vet I think the ultrasound itself may be stressful on her. We have to drive over an hour to the appointment and then drop Charlotte off for up to 5 hours. They can't give an exact appointment time and the test itself could take up to 2 hours. Also, there's a possibility she may have to be sedated which I didn't want to do due to her age and health problems. I think the stress of the day would be too much for her. She has major separation anxiety and gets very stressed at the vet.
    Charltte is on vetmedin right now for her heart and it's suppose to one of the better meds. She's on a healthy homemade diet and getting lots of omega 3 for her heart. She seems content so I think we are just going to wait and watch for awhile.
    I'll keep everyone updated with how's she's doing.
    Thanks again for all the helpful advice.
    Michelle
    Dogs Expert

Aug 10, 2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the update. I think you are making the right decision.

Sep 1, 2010, 03:05 PM

Update on Charlotte:
    Charlotte passed away this morning. She was loved and will be missed.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 03:06 PM

:( I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 03:11 PM
    Please, accept my sincerest condolences on your loss. :(
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Sep 1, 2010, 03:49 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

Susan
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 06:28 PM

I'm so sorry mftaylor.
    She is in a happy place now, playing on the other side of the rainbow bridge, don't worry, you will get to see her again one day, until then she can play with her doggy friends up in heaven.
    Dogs Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 10:04 AM

Michelle, I am So sorry to hear this. My deepest sympathies for you and your family.

Here is a thread you might want to post on.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lounge...ds-488689.html

I hope you decide to stick around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

Skin allergies, dog food diet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old black lab. He has had almost constant ear infections over the last two years. The vet believes he has sensitive skin since he licks his coat (no hot spots). Recently I took him off commercial dog food (which I still feed my other labs w/no problem). Within 4 days his ears...

Food allergies [ 20 Answers ]

I have an american pitbull terrier and he is allergic to some dog foods I would like to know if anyone know how to fix this problem other than switching the food cause I mean he only eats that type of food and no other so does anyone know what should I do besides taking him to the vet and switch...

View more questions Search