Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnmertz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 07:12 AM
    Replacement part for Moen 1201 Cartridge
    I tried to change the cartridge in my shower. Home Depot plumbing "expert" said the Moen SKU 1200 was the replacement, and it looked very similar to the naked eye. However, when I tried to install it in my shower it would not go it. I added silicone and it still did not work. After unsuccessful attempts I reinstalled my old cartridge and it stopped the leak, however I have a very small drip, which tells me I need to have it changed. When I put the original cartridge back in it too was difficult to reinsert. Is the SKU 1200 Moen Cartridge the same as the SKU 1201 Moen Cartridge?? If not, what is the correct replacement SKU?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 12, 2010, 07:19 AM

If it looks the same, it is the same. Not that many types.

When installing cartridge, put the cartridge in with the stem in the open position. If this is the old style, pull out and turn type, that would be with the stem pulled out. Otherwise, as you try to push the cartridge in, you are having to compress the air trapped in the body of the faucet.

When you put the old cartridge back in, the defect that causes the drip allow the air to escape.

Hint: Had you called 1 800 BUY MOEN, Moen would have sent you a new cratridge for free.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 07:23 AM

Not sure if the same type, but when the old one is out, I use the inside pipe brush, then the silicone. Not sure if this is Plumber accepted, it works for me.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 12, 2010, 07:30 AM

Strat,

Hopefully you mean a silicone grease, don't think I would use a wire brush, might put scratches in the polished brass surface inside the valve.
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

May 13, 2010, 04:39 PM

Post some pics please

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen shower cartridge replacement [ 3 Answers ]

I have removed the old cartridge and put the new one in. The problem I am now having is the locking ring will not go back in and I think it shouldn't be that tough to slip it back. What am I doing wrong?

Moen replacement cartridge problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small diameter MOEN tub-shower valve. It has a lever, setscrew to hold the handle on, pull out to turn on and rotate for temperature. The cartridge seems quite small. I didn't try to pull the cartridge until I could get another one. Home Depot has one but it is too large and different....

Moen shower cartridge replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a moen single handle shower faucet that leaks. I think the model number is TL2301 Could the cartridge need to be replaced and how is ths done.

Moen cartridge stuck [ 3 Answers ]

I have changed moen lav cartridges before. I stopped getting hot water in a shower and I can't pull out the old cartridge. Any ideas?

Moen cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

I changed my one handle shower cartridge by moen. This was not easy and had to break it apart to remove. I put a new one in and there was no pressure. I changed this one and got very little improvement. I had great pressure before it was just leaking any ideas??

View more questions Search