Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gronk115 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 05:23 AM
    What's the difference between a pump tank and a pressure tank
    What is the difference between a pump tank and a pressure tank?

Thanks Mike
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 05:26 AM

Probably the pump tank you are referring is one of the small pressure tanks (just a couple of gallons or so) used on booster pumps. A pressure tank is larger and not directly mounted on the pump. At any rate, that's my best guess on it.
    gronk115 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 06:06 AM

This is an above ground well pump with a small metal tank sitting next to it and has an air valve on the top of the tank for adding air.
    It is full of water and pump is short cycling badly the tank is very old so I want to replace it
    I went online to look at tanks and saw two types being sold a pressure tank or a pump tank both look the same to me in the pictures so I wasn't sure which tank I should buy.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2010, 06:32 AM
    A pump or bladder tank, (see image) is a smaller tank with a membrane
    Your bladder tank membrane is ruptured. Replace it!
    A pressure tank is a larger galvanized tank,(see image) that uses trapped air as a cushion in place of a menbrane,
    They both do the same thing and that is to prevent the pump from cycling on and off every tine a valve's opened. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 12, 2010, 06:49 AM

There are two types of well tanks, pressure tanks and bladder tanks. They are actually both pressure tanks but one has a bladder and the other does not. We just don't have another name for the non-bladder tank.

Pressure tanks (non-bladder type) are usually galvanized. Bladder tanks are usually painted. Galvanized pressure tanks are galvanized inside and out. Bladder tanks have the scharder air valve for pressurizing the tank.

Apparently you bladder has ruptured and the tank has become water logged. One of the purposes of the bladder is to prevent this.

As a temporary measure you can empty the tank of water and pressurize the tank to 2 lbs below the pump cut in pressure to stop the pump short cycling. Some times you get an odor to the water because the inside of the tank is not coated for use like this. However, you have water until you can replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New shallow well pump new huge pressure tank but water pressure is terrible [ 11 Answers ]

When I had a smaller pump (shallow well) and small tank my water pressure was great. When I had to replace everything the person installing the system put a bigger pump and a huge pressure tank. It is the size of a 50 gal water heater. I replaced everything. Ever since then my water pressure is...

Well pump pressure tank [ 1 Answers ]

My electric well pump has been cut off at a vacant house due to cold weather. How do I put pressure back in the tank when the pump is turned back on? Do I put air in the tank and if so how much? Air first or water first. The pump is a surmergible type.

Do I need to install a jet pump, a pressure tank and a holding tank? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home with nothing but the 1inch well pipe stemed through the cellar wall. My house is not on town supply line. Do I need to install a jet pump that goes to the pressure tank which then sends water ot a holding tank? Or is the pressure tank by itself all that I would need? Or a...

Pressure tank on well pump [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a power outage and when the power came back on there was no pressure in the system, I think the pressure tank needs to be reset?

View more questions Search