Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephanoodle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 10:38 AM
    Stopping payment or freezing a personal accout (not by creditors)
    Okay - I'm in a pickle with my best friend. LONG STORY - she was living with a guy and kicked him out last week. They took her off their joint account and she hadn't had a chance to open a new one and rent was due. She deposited her whole check into HIS account and he immediately wrote a check for the rent and they mailed it off. THEN Saturday night he came to her house and beat the tar out of her and she had him picked up by the police. NOW he's saying that he froze his account so the check wouldn't go through? Can he do that? If he can, legally is there anything she can do about it? If the account is frozen (which he claims) and the check was written before, will it still go through?

Thank you for ANY help you can offer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 11:02 AM
    If he stopped payment or froze the account before the check cleared, then yes, he can. If she deposited her whole check, she will have to take him to court to get the money back.

Not sure where that puts you in a pickle, but she should inform the landlord immediately that the check may bounce. And make arrangements to make good on it.
    stephanoodle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 11:09 AM
    She did deposit her entire check so I suppose she is probably about to be evicted :( if they continue to send the check through, won't he be responsible for the fees?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Not sure where that puts you in a pickle, but she should inform the landlord immediately that the check may bounce. And make arrangements to make good on it.
    It puts me in a pickle because she's my best friend and she was beat by her boyfriend and I'd like her and her son to not be homeless!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 11:16 AM
    First eviction doesn't go through that quickly. If he stopped payment or froze the account and that causes her hardship, she can sue him not only for the money she deposited but for any expenses incurred (like fees) as a result of the freeze.

So, like I said, she needs to inform the landlord immediately. She then needs to come up with the rent. If you are that good a friend maybe you can lend her all or part of the rent (if you do, I would get it in writing).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is Residual Creditors [ 1 Answers ]

What is the technical definition of Residual Creditors? Can you give an example of this. How does it differ from Trade Creditors?

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Creditors [ 2 Answers ]

My car was impounded in Washington state. I offered to give the towing company my title for the car, they said that I still have to pay for it staying in the garage even though they had they title. Before they said this they sent me a letter saying they were going to sell it. How can the charge me...

Creditors contact after about 10 years [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 student loans that are about 10 years old. They have been on my credit report for about 9 years and just fell off about 8 months ago. Recently new creditors have been contacting me and I am worried that if I talk to them, try to pay, or make any arrangement at all it will place the...

Creditors closing good accounts? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a creditor close a zero balance, paid as agreed status acct if it was not included in a Chapter 7?. My employer ( whom I hold a retail credit card) has automatically closed my account on me? Is this not fraud to report this reporting, when it was never included?

View more questions Search