Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2010, 01:37 AM
    Do we have to change/modify child support if child changes home?
    If both parents agree to change custody arrangements for the best interests of the child but don't want to stop or change child support is that possible?

Child is having problems at home
    Mother and father think they want to try changing the child's home to the fathers.
    Mother and father don't want to change child support.

I guess my question is. Do we have to change/modify child support if the living arrangements change? Can we just keep the order of child support the way it is?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 12, 2010, 02:16 AM

Custody and child support are separate things.Child support may be increased or lowered without changing the custody.Custody may be changed with/or without changing child support payments.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2010, 03:49 AM

I would strongly advise formalizing any change with the courts. If both parents are agreeing to the change, then the court will generally just rubber stamp it. But if you go against the court order without formalizing the modification, you could be opening a can of worms later.

But the answer to your question is that, yes, you can change the child's primary residence without informing the court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2010, 04:19 AM

If the child goes to the fathers home from the mothers, as long as the father keeps paying child support to the mother then they don't have to change it. But the Father is obligated to keep paying the mother even if child is living with him, unless they change the court documents.

If he does not, mother can at any time come after him for back support
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks for your information!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Do I have to go to the state where my child support case is at to modify it [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in North Carolina for a few yrs. I moved back to Arizona and my sons mom requested child support from me. I have 2 child support cases. One in North Carolina and one in Arizona. How can I modify them both and combine them into one case here in az?

How to modify child support payment from another state [ 9 Answers ]

I'm in arearrs of child support from California I'm now a resident of Montana, Montana says I have to go to California to get a modification of payment this is impossible do to work ? My child and mother moved to Oregon and my child's mother had my daughters name changed when she was four (4)...

Change in child support [ 7 Answers ]

I had complete custody of my daughter for 6 years in Colorado. She is now 17 years old. At the time of the divorce we agreed that there would be no child support. During that 6 years the father made no effort to maintain contact. When the child became uncontrollable I sent her to live with her...

Child support modify [ 5 Answers ]

My attorney told me that I'm paying too much child support, 630 dollars monthly and he said that I have to pay just 500 $. He did the appeal but already past more than a month and haven't received any answer, he told that I have to wait for 90 days . It's true? I live in ny.

View more questions Search