Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goottastic Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
    Suffers in Silence
    So my friends have been telling me I have issues with "talking about my problems". My best friend since kindergarten has only seen me cry a few times, but knows I have mild depression. She tells me all the time how unhealthy it is to not cry when you need to, and such, but I don't really know what to do about it. I think my issue is I was raised believing crying is a sign of weakness. If you cry, you don't deserve to be happy. This came as a constant reminder from my father, on the soccer field... "Get up! Stop crying! Score a goal, be a champ!" after the recent death of my dog... "don't be sad. don't be sad." and basically any other situation, even as a young child, I was found crying in. So I know what my problem is, why I can't seem to cry in front of people, why I can't tell people when I'm really sad or depressed, it's because I think crying is for the weak, and I don't want to be weak. But how can I fix this?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 05:08 PM

"Men don't cry", "don't take your problems to town," it's not just you. It's a masculine and cultural phenomenon.

Could you tell me your age? And
    Do you think you are depressed? And
    If so why? Otherwise, why not?
    goottastic Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 05:44 PM

Well I'm in my teens and I don't know if it's depression or anxiety or both, or maybe I'm just making something out of nothing. Just my outlook on life makes me think I'm depressed. The things my friends go through, the way my father acts towards my family, and just every little thing adds to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My PC suffers from autorun,trojan virus.. please give some idea to detect thes viruses [ 2 Answers ]

My PC suffers from autorun,trojan virus.. please give some idea to detect thes viruses

My boyfriend suffers from depression: how do I not feel personally attacked? [ 12 Answers ]

My BF and I have a great relationship, but every couple of months he begins To show signs that he is going to go through a depressive period. This usually occurs When he is under a lot of stress or he has had lack of sleep or he has had a night out and drunk too much. When he gets depressed he...

My boyfriend suffers with depression - I feel at a loss right now. [ 15 Answers ]

Good morning people. I have so many questions running through my head about the situation that I am in, that I am really not sure where to begin. Can I start by asking if there are other people who are partners of people who suffer with clinical depression and/or ADD? Again - I have so...

How can I get my mother in a mental institution? She suffers from bipolar. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Ihave dealt with this disease for over fourteen years now, each time we were successful in having my mother baker acted (state of florida) because she was a harm to herself and others; ie: not eating, not bringing kids to school, having kids and herself living on the street. Since Jan...

Anyone suffers from Psoriasis [ 3 Answers ]

My mother suffers from psoriasis which has affected her feet. What can she do to alleviate the discomfort. She also suffers from dry scalp due to psoriasis as well.

View more questions Search