Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjerde Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Plumbing sewer gas smell in basement that comes and goes
    We moved into a house with a sewer gas smell. We did find 3 open sewer drains that we capped. The odor went away for a week and now is back. It is worse when the heat is on and is so bad we can't turn on the heat. It is pulling the smell from our basement but we can't locate it. We checked all drains and the traps are working fine and do not smell. We do have city sewer and there is a large holding tank about 100 yards from our house. Could that be the problem? We also had a mold and a wildlife company out and they couldn't find anything.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2010, 08:59 AM

What plumbing fixtures are there in the basement ? Any floor drains ?

May 11, 2010, 09:03 AM

Furnace on one side (that side doesn't smell) and the other is water softner, water heater, washer and dryer. 6ft ceiling and about a 8 X18ft space. There is a crawl space but not including in the 8 X 18ft space (guessing space size).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:04 AM

A holding tank with city sewer, very unusual. Can you tell us more about the tank and its function? Also tell us more about the 3 capped sewer drains, what were they once connected to? Do you have an attic and can you see your vent stack reaching up through the roof line?

May 11, 2010, 09:12 AM

Yes, a holding tank for 3 cities. Then once it gets full it is flushed?
    That is what the city said when I had them come out. The plumber located 3 exposed sewer drains that were once in use? Our house was bulit in 1924 and they were just open. I am guessing they were connected to a different type of drainage (maybe a septic tanka t one time?). The plumber did go on the roof and run the water hose down and it appeared to be clear and offer no leaks.. but will look again. What are my other options? What about having the lines cleaned or hiring someone to bring a smoke machine in? I want to try to elminate all my options before I go to the city.
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:14 AM

Look in the crawl space. See if there is any additional uncapped sewer pipe. Also, that washer: does it have trap installed ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:16 AM

"Yes, a holding tank for 3 cities" never heard of anything like this, where are you located?
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:20 AM

Also, if this room is in the basement - how is it being pumped up and out of the house ? Sewer ejector ?

May 11, 2010, 09:21 AM

You can't crawl in there because it is to small but we can double check. That is where we found 2 open pipes.washer doesn't have a trap on it but it drains to the tub when does have one on it. When water softner is running the smell goes away & it drains to tub to.

May 11, 2010, 09:28 AM

We are in Long Lake, MN. They put in a new road about 6 years ago and installed a new sewer system and a holding tank? Thank you for your help. How can I tell if it is a city problem or my problem. I just want the smell to go away.

May 11, 2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks Milo. I am guessing it is being pumped out to my main sewer drain which I do believe in the basement? Sorry I am not that good at describing things but I do know it goes out form my house
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:31 AM

Most likely it is your problem. If you had 3 open drains - then there is a chance there may be 4th one.
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:33 AM

Regarding that Sewer Ejector: do you know where it is located ? Look for it and let us know what it looks like - or even better, snap a picture of it and post it...

May 11, 2010, 09:34 AM

I hope we can find it. The plumber is coming out again. Would you sugguest a smoke machine?

May 11, 2010, 09:36 AM

Milo... I will check when the plumber is there and take a picture of it. Thanks
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2010, 09:37 AM

It depends how experienced the plumber is. Good plumber will find open pipe without use of smoke machine.

May 11, 2010, 09:38 AM

Good answer. I think he is pretty good. Will let you know. Again, thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement sewer smell [ 1 Answers ]

Our basement has occasional sewer smell. There is a full bath in basement but is used very little. How can we track down where the smell is coming from? Since we did not install bathroom I'm not sure if it was done correctly.

Sewer Smell in Basement [ 7 Answers ]

I have a bar in my theater room. The bar has a dishwasher, ice machine and a refrigerator. Every few weeks I smell a sewer smell in that area. It may last a day or two and then go away. The drainage is tied into the bathroom in the basement. We never have that smell in the bathroom. Does...

What can I use get rid of plumbing smell outside near the sewer line? [ 2 Answers ]

What can I use to get rid of the horrible smell of the backup outside my house from the plumbing back up in my yard. >Moved from Forum Help<

Sewer smell basement [ 1 Answers ]

What is cause of a terrible rank sewer gas type smell in basement furnace is pushing throughout the house - either the drains or a dead animal in the furnace intake pipe?

Sewer Gas smell in the basement [ 2 Answers ]

There is a foul sewer-gas smell that is originating in our basement crawl-space. The smell is strongest in the laundry room where the entrance to the crawl-space is located, and has permeated the entire house. We experienced this problem last year but it only lasted a day or two and was confined...

View more questions Search