Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Is WeatherBug Really Spyware?
    Hi, All!

I was told by a computer technician some time ago that WeatherBug is spyware. Is there any truth to that? I've been using a very early version of the program that has very little on it compared to the newer versions.

Thanks!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 10, 2010, 06:22 PM

No, WeatherBug is Adware, not spyware.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
    Hi, JBeaucaire!

Then, I wonder why the computer technician told me that it was spyware? It's easy to see that it's adware.

Thanks!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 11, 2010, 08:12 AM

Techs are like the rest of us, when they are told something by someone else, they tend to believe it first and research it never... and it's really hard to get someone to unbelieve something.

Microsoft did this to Weatherbug back in 2005 (?). Their Defender product flagged one of the engine components in Weatherbug as spyware and the report went viral.

Even though they corrected the classification shortly after, the damage was done. Rumors persist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spyware Maybe? [ 3 Answers ]

I usually know exactly what goes on with my comp daily and I've got Avast, CCleaner, Malwarebytes' AntiMalware, Hijackthis so I'm pretty well covered by whatever comes along, but lately I've noticed something different when I've used my CCleaner to clean up my system. Usually there's only been a...

Spyware [ 3 Answers ]

What is , "Common hijacker?"

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Spyware [ 20 Answers ]

Help please, when I recently changed my desktop background picture I got a warning that my computer may be infected by spyware which covers my dektop background.When I click on the link it goes to a site called topantispyware.com/overview.php?38. Is this spyware or a virus and how can I get rid of...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

View more questions Search