Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Folks from the old AskMe.com
    For kicks, I went to archive.org and looked at the "top ten" list for askme.com in 2000.

Of course ScottGem and Fr_Chuck were consistently on the list.

I wondered if any of you know what happened to some of the others. I did some googling on a few of them and did not find any under the same username still active anywhere.

For some of them I found TONS of stuff from '99-'01 or so, but for the most part nothing since then.

Has anyone run into any of these folks elsewhere?

Physicskw
    CedricAllen
    capntom
    Deliberance
    Dlmyers
    Felis_concolor
    Jpearcpa
    Johnrecover
    Klbrawner
    Lifelines
    Landlordan
    mhardenbrook
    Ptolemyweb
    Screenmentor
    _winddanc... (my guess is "winddancer")
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 08:38 AM
    I think I have an e-mail address for Michele (mhardenbrook) on my home PC. I recognize a few of the names like Capntom and physicskw.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Of all the users I googled, mhardenbrook was the one that I found with something from 2005. She last logged in at Answerway 9/05. A few went to answerway but none are active now.

Physicskw was #1 for about forever.

I'm still getting used to the age of the internet where relationships are built... then they just go away. You just never know if people just lost interest... or even died :(
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 6, 2006, 09:12 AM
    I believe the most commonly occurring explanation for this, Rick, is people change names like they do clothes here in cyberland. ;)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Ah yes, Xpertsite. Except for Science for children, I stuck to the several dog and pet forums there. At one time, they were very active. As far as I know, nobody I knew there is active here now. I do think one attack on me here a couple of years ago, was the work of the chief dog troll from there. I think she has hit me on a couple of other sites in the last year. Pointing out that bad answers are bad, wins no popularity contests.

I do see occasional posts elsewhere from Charlotte, Fyvel, Loci, and UFOH1 emails me now and then. Findley was very active for a while on one site but suddenly quit in 2003. I am afraid he? Died. I miss him. Too many people don't know near as much about dogs as they think they do. Findley was the best. He also did a fine job of avoiding cat fights. Had some emails from My Name is Taken after Findley disappeared, but haven't heard from her in a couple of years. With Findley gone, I haven't had any other good people stick around very long on any general Q&A site. I hope some of the ones here now stick around.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I believe the most commonly occurring explanation for this, Rick, is people change names like they do clothes here in cyberland. ;)
    I have been Labman on every site I have ever registered on. I am not the Labman on MSN. I was forced to use Labmantoo on Point Ask to rebut bad answers. A trick I earned from Sdiamond. I never abused it in the star wars there. One thing I like here is not allowing anonochickens to down rate others.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 09:45 AM
    BTW, how did you find the lists. I tried archive.org but couldn't find them.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    BTW, how did you find the lists. I tried archive.org but couldn't find them.
    Despite that they have dates all over the place, only a few dates from 2000 land you on the actual askme.com homepage.

Nothing in '99 or '01 works.

In some cases I was able to even navigate to a main forum page where I saw the members who had the most points in that forum.

It was a real blast from the past to see some of those names.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Interesting. I've thought that most people who post on multiple boards use the same username.
    capntom Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 02:34 PM
    I'm still Around lurking in the dark corners of the internet.
    mhardenbrook Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
    I'm still around. I have been answering questions at Wondir since 2003. Don't get to the other question/answer sites much. My email is [email protected] if anyone wants to get in contact.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Hi M. Good to see your name again! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old AskMe [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the old "AskMe" site is still up? I had used this service a few years ago and can not find it. Thanks

Askme.com [ 4 Answers ]

This site looks like the old www.askme.com site. What happened to askme.com? This site looks similar, but all of the archived information does not seem to be here anymore.

Askme [ 2 Answers ]

Is this the place you mentioned?

View more questions Search