Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kclara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Voluantary relinquishement of parental rights
    We recently found out that a woman my husband had a affair with is pregnant. He does not want to have anything to do with her or the unborn child... physically or financially. He has told her that he will sign over all parental rights and she has agreed. We are seeking legal counsel. What type of paperwork will need to be completed for this to happen?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Check with your local Family court. They can advise what forms you need to complete. However, relinquishing his rights does NOT absolve him from financial responsibility. All it does is remove any right to custody, visitation or any say in how the child is raised. The mother can still ask for and receive child support.
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 7, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Bravo ScottGem
    Thank you for a brilliant answer! It simply amazes me how people can absolve themselves so readily and easily when it comes to an unborn child that they put into this world. Your husband made a financial commitment the moment he decided to have unprotected sex. It is up to the custodial parent to release him from financial responsibility. Therefore, it is the best interest of your husband to be very nice and request absolution of financial responsibility from his mistress. Although, in years to ensue he may regret this action of relinquishing his rights. After all, it is his child. And someday that child may want to know him, or request medical information, heritage information, or desire a reason why he relinquished his rights as a father. He may regret his decision at a later time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I guess I didn't give enough information.my children are in Missouri.I am 38 and by now I should have ny life figured out but I don't. The reason my mother wants me to give up my rights is the fact that she has had them for the past 10 years. I gave her guardianship of them when they were 3&4 they...

View more questions Search