Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
    John Deere LX172 PTO won't engage
    I have a John Deere model LX172 riding mower. It runs well but I can't get the mower to engage. The main pulley under the motor will not turn. The engine will kill if I turn on the PTO switch while not in the seat so I'm assuming the switch and the safety part of it works. Any suggestions on what to check first? In laymans terms.

Thanks,
    gldfingr54 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2010, 01:49 PM

See my article on the 155C. Did you take the seat off and visually check the safety switch.

May 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
    The switch looks fine. I have it taped down now so it thinks I'm on the seat at all times. I only see one set of wires coming from the clutch which has a junction to the wires that run up to the PTO switch. Everything looks fine. I can't find a fuse anywhere if there is one.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 08:02 AM

It still could be your pto switch it runs the electric clutch and the safety system runs there also
    'it has different wires going through it for each.just because it kills the engine means the safety is working doesn't mean its getting power to the clutch,turn the switch on and check for power at the clutch ,

May 18, 2010, 09:45 AM
    I have examined the ssfety swith, pto switch, and all wires leading from each and everything appears to be fine. Is there a way to actually know if the safety swith or the PTO switch is working?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 18, 2010, 03:01 PM

Hi,
    Check the blue wire(s) for voltage at the PTO switch. Also, try sitting on it with the ignition switch on and turning on the PTO switch (engine not running) and the clutch should clunk.
    Peace,
    Clarke

May 26, 2010, 11:22 AM
    The only wire in the PTO switch I seem to have any voltage from is the black/yellow wire. I have tried a brand new PTO switch but that did not work either. When I turn on the PTO switch with the engine off, I hear a click near the ignition but that is it.
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 12:03 PM

If you hear a click that sounds like your pto is working,sounds like you have a belt problem ,check and make sure the belts are both tight,

May 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
    Even if the belt was loose, shouldn't the main PTO pulley at the bottom of the engine be spinning? It doesn't move.
    derbyman2007 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 03:33 PM

Try tightening the bolt for the pully under the engine then start it sounds like the bolt is lose
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 06:53 PM

Probably need to check the air gap on the pto clutch

May 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
    How do I check the air gap? I have tighted the bolt until it turns the engine but that didn't work either. The bolt itself is spinning when the tractor is running but I just can't get the PTO pulley to engage with it.
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 12:11 PM

The spring loaded bolts on the clutch is how you set the air gap,
    There should be a little window by each bolt,use a feeler gauge and set at about.015 go inbtween the two plates.

Jun 4, 2010, 02:19 PM
    I have removed the PTO clutch and had it tested. It works fine. I have replaced the PTO switch but that didn't help. I have looked over all the wires and fuses but I don't find any problems. I now have an electrical schematic of my tractor but I really can't follow those. I'm trying to figure out where in the system I'm losing power. I test fine at the battery but nothing at the clutch. Any advice on what to check or in what order to find my problem. I know it's electrical somewhere.
    ktchup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Hi !

I have those same troubles with my LX172. Did you find the problem ?

Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 8, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Hi,
    One unusual thing that the LX172 was prone to was having the four engine mount bolts back out and breaking the engine to frame ground. The engine could be seen to shake distinctly to and fro as it came to a halt if this was present.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L130 deck won't engage [ 5 Answers ]

I have a John Deere L130 lawn tractor and when I pull the PTO switch to engage the deck the mower tries to die and won't engage the deck. Could it be that the PTO switch is faulty and needs to be replaced or is it something else that's wrong ?

John deere mower will not engage [ 12 Answers ]

I have a John Deere riding mower 100 series model #gx155ca026001. The blades will not engage when I pull the knob next to steering wheel. I checked belt and nothing is jammed. I was mowing some thick, tall grass prior to this. I took belt pulley covers off and there was a lot of grass jammed in...

John Deere LX172 won't stay running [ 13 Answers ]

This tractor has not ran in a few years but is in good condition. I can get it started just fine but have to spray gas directly into the carb air intake to keep it running. It will run as long as I do this. Any suggestions on what to check first? There is gas in the fuel filter. Should I check...

View more questions Search