Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmm49660 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 07:47 PM
    I have a laptop, Sony VAIO VGN-FW235J, that's got a black screen at start-up.
    I turn on the laptop and all I get is black screen. It does not do anything else no matter what I do. Already tried ac power without battery, holding power button for 20 and 50 secconds, reseating the RAM and hard drive, pressing F keys but won't even go into bios or nothing just getting black screen. Any suggestions before I go to tech. I do have an Associates in Networking so I'm not a novice but I've only been dealing with pc's since 2000.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2010, 03:40 PM

Can try and use an external monitor till can get to service. You have done all the steps any tech would have taken you through with any phone support before they would setup a service call for the laptop.
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

May 10, 2010, 04:05 PM

Does the laptop actually boot up, like do the lights come on and the fan starts working and stuff? If it does, it could be a faulty screen, so like the above advice, try an external monitor and see if that works. But then again, I think that would depend on if you have the right graphics card installed and up-to-date, but you sound like you know what you are doing, so good luck.

I also think it is possible to just replace the screen if you have a popular brand of laptop, as there are some replacements on eBay.
    TheCSharpGuy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 06:12 PM
    I had the same problem with my Vaio VGN FW235J.
    I suspect a power delivery problem with the motherboard.
    Returned it to Sony Repair and the quote for repair exceeded the cost of the notebook.
    Unfortunately, I am just out of the 1 year Sony warranty period.
    A few months back a co-worker had the same failure on her VGN FW235j.
    Perhaps a defect in this Sony Vaio model?
    pittsburg65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 06:58 PM
    I had this happen on my Laptop. All that was needed was to replace the screen light.
    keithy20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 06:25 AM
    Can anyone help I have a new sony vaio e series notebook which was working fine and now when it starts sony vaio comes up then goes straight to black screen and small flashing cursor, tried to reboot and have saved all to extrenal drive but when it formats and says it needs to restart it goes straight back to black screen and can't get beyond this point.

Feb 24, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Comment on pittsburg65's post
    Where did you get the screen light?

Feb 24, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Comment on BlackVY's post
    I'll try looking for a screen soluiton wthether it's screen light or something else screen related. Thanks for the advise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Vaio Laptop won't start! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-C1Z (or VGN-C1Z/B) laptop, I have had it for 3 years this chrstmas and it was new when I bought it, so I am the only owner. I have never had problems with it before, I have good internet security, AVG updates every day and scans every day and I am careful about what...

Sony vaio laptop connect to Samsung lcd but on screen display check signal cable [ 1 Answers ]

1)I have sony vaio laptop with vist os & I have Samsung lcd TV. When I connect Samsung lcd TV I got display but on display continuous error running "check signal cable". 2) I have also compaq laptop they having windows xp os they will be connected properly with out error

Startup of Sony Vaio VGN FS 640 W without Recovery CD [ 2 Answers ]

My Sony Vaio Laptop Model VGN FS 640 W has crashed due to a power surge and I had it repaired however I am unable to restart it without a Recovery CD which does not come with the model and of which I have not saved a copy I need to know how to get this restarted Thanks, Niranjali

Sony Vaio VGN-A150 [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Get Pass The Password Protect On The Sony Vaio Vgn-a150

View more questions Search