Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phonthumb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 01:35 PM
    What do I do about gasoline spills in the ground?
    My daughter's boyfriend parked in my side yard and gasoline leaked from his gas tank into my ground. Now the yard stinks of gasoline and my car which parked in the drive also carries the odor. What should be done to clean up the soil. He says too bad nothing can be done it's already in the ground. I would think one should at least dig up the ground ad mix it with sand and then dispose of it at a hazardous waste site. Am I over reacting?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 9, 2010, 02:08 PM

Yes. You could till up the soil to speed up the evaporation but by the time you you get around to doing that, most will be gone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2010, 02:32 PM

Or in a little time it all goes away, gas is spilled on the ground 1000's 100,000's times a day in the summer filling lawn mowers, tillers, at the gas pump putting gas in a car and more.

Unless you are talking about gallons and gallons, you are merely over reacting
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2010, 12:22 PM

I assume we're not talking about a major spill here. Turn the ground over with a shovel and take a hose and flush it out.
    Good luck, Tom
    spanky917 Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Aug 11, 2010, 08:32 PM

Around here... I'd be accused of OVER REACTING... but you can shovel it up and haul it off. Unless it's more than so many (see EPA web site) gallons... it's not hazardous waste. It's probably not soaked in too deeply unless it was many, many gallons.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 02:50 PM

I wonder if Someone cleared away the grass, make a small campfire to draw the Gas and fumes out?
    spanky917 Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Aug 12, 2010, 07:42 PM

Careful... campfire might "GO BOOM !"... depends on concentration level of gasoline residue.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 04:54 AM

In three months I'm sure the gas has evaporated, boyfriend probably has also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

410a spills [ 1 Answers ]

Does puron {410a} tend to leak and cause roof damage on hvac roof top units

Cpvc cement spills on linoleum floor how do you clean off [ 1 Answers ]

Spilled the cpvc cement on linoleum floor and it is dry, is there anything we can use to clean it off the floor

What's this film its about a potion that spills on a magazine and women come alive [ 1 Answers ]

I've been looking for this film for so long its about a boy who invents a green potion and it spills on a magazine and a dog comes out so then he starts tipping it on women and they come out but abit wrong and everywomen that comes out says kiss me and il be yours forever please someone help me

When it all spills out [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so me and this guy have being dating for about 4 weeks a short time but I'm 14 and that seems like an age Any way I wanted to keep it a secret cause my parents don't know (their a bit on the strict side but in every other area of life with exeptions I listen to them but dating at 40 noway!)...

Removing spills [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag plus side by side refrigerator, and I have something that has dripped and now dried into the seams on the front of the food drawers and there seems that there is no way to get to that area to clean it. Help. Also, how much do the replacement cartridges cost and where can they be...

View more questions Search