Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

May 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
    Washing machine drain line design
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a picture or sketch of a drain with an AAV. Just want to make sure what I have is right.

Thanks

Ad
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2010, 09:37 AM

Here are 2 examples of AAV installation... (Edit: I have substituted first diagram with what I believe is better way to go )
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 9, 2010, 11:31 AM

I can go with Milo'as 2nd pic but the first one is like spitting into the wind. The washer is darining into an open ended stand pipe above a trap, no AAV needed with this design, the air just enters through the stand pipe

May 9, 2010, 01:00 PM

Ok, so here is what I started with :

And here is what I finished with:

I am not sure if the bend is too narrow going from the washer drain through the P to the stack? I ran the washer and it went down fine without a problem, what do you think... also, I put a rubber seal from the washer hoe to the stack, any problems with doing that?

That didn't seem to work, here are the links:

100_0736 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

100_0735 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

100_0738 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

100_0737 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

100_0735 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 9, 2010, 02:04 PM

Bob, You said,
    I can go with Milo'as 2nd pic but the first one is like spitting into the wind. The washer is darining into an open ended stand pipe above a trap, no AAV needed with this design,
    But without the AAV you'd have a "S" trap.

Ad,
    Photos #1. 2 and 4 show a illegal hook up, I see a direct connection to the city sewer without either a trap or a vent.
    However , photo #3 shows both a trap and a AAV such as Milo pictured. That's your keeper. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

May 9, 2010, 05:00 PM

So, 1 and 2 are the way it was...

3 and 4 are the new setup, though 4 is sideways---sorry about that...

What you can not see is that even before it didn't tie into the main sewer it tied into a sink's p trap... it was a very odd setup...

But it looks OK now? Even thought there is a harsh angle for the water to travel the almost "s"?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 9, 2010, 05:09 PM

Yourtrap is more of an S than that"harsh" angle. Lloks fine to me. What does this drain into, looks like maybe a sump pump pit or something.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2010, 05:41 PM

In pic three and four, you have installed the trap and aav just as any plumber would have. You are good to go. Good job.

May 9, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yourtrap is more of an S than that"harsh" angle. lloks fine to me. What does this drain into, looks like maybe a sump pump pit or something.
    Nope that's my first floor, it goes down through the subfloor about another 5 feet into the basement, then it travels essentially at a zero pitch 6 feet, then makes a 90 degree turn through a wall 12 inches, then another 90 degree turn and on for about 6-7 feet at about a 45 degree pitch then connects to a utility sink (above the sinks P trap) draining out with the utility sink (again at almost a zero pitch in a big square to the main sewer line).

I know it is a cluster... but Im tackling it slowly but surely one step at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    in pic three and four, you have installed the trap and aav just as any plumber would have. You are good to go. Good job.
    Sweet, thanks!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Good job !

May 13, 2010, 11:05 PM

Thanks, I wanted to show you guys what's below the washer and the next step in the project.

This is the room below the room the washer is in:

Basement DWV-1 with notes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is where it punches through the cinderblock wall:

Basement DWV with notes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You can see where I have marked it for cutting to replace with PVC and tie in the washer line.

Basement DWV-2 with notes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The next picture shows it progressing through the cabinetry towards the drain tie in that was done before I bought the place.

Basement DWV-3 with notes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And finally the wacky tie in:

Basement DWV-4 with notes on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So what do you think of the plan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Drain Line [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to use an 1 1/2" drain line if I have plenty of slope? Under the house it is 1 1/2" that I have to tie into. How far away is the max for the vent pipe?

Washing Machine Drain Design [ 3 Answers ]

We are putting a washing machine in the basement. The copper supply lines were pretty straightforward to add to our system, but I have some questions about the waste line design. As we get further into it, we've been wondering if our original design is too simplistic. There is an existing...

Vent for Washing Machine Drain Attached to Existing Drain Line [ 0 Answers ]

"Current setup for a washing machine has the discharge hose "hooked" into a laundry tub. Tennants would like something more "permanent." The laundry tub has a normal trap followed by a horizontal run of about 2 feet (2" threaded pipe) then "T's" into a vertical drain/vent. The vent line goes...

Washing Machine Drain line design [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all. Thanks for any help with this in advance! I would like to retro-fit a washing machine in my ground floor condo. My plan is to install a 2" stand-pipe and p-trap then run my 2" pipe 8' long, then turn 90 degrees then another 6' to a 2" combo stack that serves my lav and my upstairs...

Washing machine drain line [ 2 Answers ]

Bought a new place, rather small which has no current space for laundry. We are planning on adding addition which will be usable in 12 months but in meantime want on site laundry. There is utility building 30 feet from house which I have already wired and want to put washer/dryer in that. Existing...

View more questions Search