Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jennah63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2010, 08:55 AM
    What is religious or pagan about celebration of birthdays in islam?
    I converted from being raised as a Sabbatarian, in 2007. In the religion that I was born and raised into, we followed the teachings by the Bible, but very strictly. It is not permitted to celebrate Christmas, Easter, Valentines Day, St Patricks Day, Halloween, and the only holiday that we were permitted to celebrate was Thanksgiving. The one reason that we did not celebrate Christmas, was because of the pagan rituals that have been combined with something that Christians would like to assume are holy. Originally the birth of Jesus Christ was celebrated by many but the pagan rituals that were combined with the actual birthday of Christ were what made it questionable. God never in any part of the Bible commanded his creatures to celebrate the birth of Christ. Therefore when I was growing up I never did celebrate the birthday (Christmas) of Christ. I completely understood the reasoning for this. What I do not understand is a birthday of anyone - and what actually is religious or considered religious about celebrating or being glad and showing your happiness for the birth and marking the birth of someone. Secondly, what is religious and pagan about celebrating a anniversary of your marriage?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 9, 2010, 09:13 AM

There is nothing religious regarding the celebration of a birth, or birthday, or celebrating an anniversary of marriage. It is merely to mark the day as special to someone. Both are purely a personal choice, in my opinion.

Tick
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2010, 12:49 PM

Assalaam alaikum Jennah,

It was customary long before Christianity for friends and family to gather around the person whose birthday it is and this ritual was to ward off evil spirits who some people believed which would come to visit people on their birthdays.

So it is a pagan ritual that seems to have evolved into the modern day party.

Please refer to links for the Islamic ruling.
    Islam Question and Answer - Celebrating birthdays is not allowed
    Islam Question and Answer - He wants to give his wife a gift on the anniversary of their marriage each year

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Be-Ro celebration cake [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone My wife used to bake a celebration cake from Home Recipes with Be-Ro flour cookbook. It is a paperback third A4 folded size booklet. When we got a new one (38th edition), as the old was was getting rather tatty, we threw the old one away. Ah but the celebration cake was omitted and...

There is a page on on islam watch (Incest is Halal in Islam) please answer it because [ 9 Answers ]

I saw this page while I was searching Google It is causing bad for islam and our prophet MUHAMMAD peace be upon hin

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

2009 Parelli Celebration commercial [ 1 Answers ]

Who performs the 2009 Parelli Celebration commercial song..?

What is a Pagan [ 3 Answers ]

What is a Pagan? I am not writing this to be argumentive or anything else but to find peace Is it someone who does not believe in God? In some religions they claim that it is so but it is not. Does it mean that a person believes in Satan, NO! They do not, they don't believe in satan. Does...

View more questions Search