Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2010, 04:54 PM
    What to do with pine cones
    Would like to know what else beside xmas ornaments pine cones can be used for.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chuck
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 8, 2010, 05:33 PM

Here are a few links I found that may help;

Pine Cone Crafts - Fun Recycling Craft Challenges

PineCone Crafts

Just Google pine cone crafts and you'll find many more.

Also a few pictures of pine cone crafts;

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  2.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  4.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  2.2 KB
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Hi, creahands!

If the parts of the outside of the cone are large enough, they might make neat shingles on some sort of miniature house.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2010, 06:03 AM

Thanks, this will make my daughter happy. She has acquired about 600 cones and I have enough "junk" in my garage.

Again thanks for the ideas and site.

Chuck
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2010, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Thanks, this will make my daughter happy. She has acquired about 600 cones and I have enough "junk" in my garage.

Again thanks for the ideas and site.

Chuck
    No problem.

Of course you'll have to post pictures of the things you make. :)
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

May 13, 2010, 11:23 PM

You can make pine cone wreaths they are real easy. You need a wire ring from craft storewhich is cheap. It would have 4 rings around it 2 upper and 2 lower, this is where you slide the larger pine cones. You let there pine cones soak in water and the close back up and then slide them in place when they dry they open back up. The longer pines cones are used for this layer. Then use wire cutters to cut the other cones and glue on top of the bottom layer. Hot glue works best. They are very pretty and cheap christmas presents. A little messy, sap!
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 12:02 AM
    Hi again, creahands!

What specific kinds of pine cones are they, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 12:30 AM

Hi Clough,

Don't have the faintest idea what kind. Will check with daughter and let u know. 600 is too much to look at. She said she was going to sort them this weekend.

Chuck
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 01:04 AM
    If she is going to sort them, then I would assume that they are different kinds.

If they are different kinds and sizes, that could make things really interesting in terms of making things out of them.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 06:15 AM

That's what she said. My girls are very creative and it can really drive one crazy. They manage to come with things to do with things not usually used in that manner. That's how we got the name for our store many years ago,Creative Hands. And they have not stopped. My store has been closed for over 25 years but we still dabble.

Chuck
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

May 19, 2010, 07:23 PM

Another thing I just remembered really easy and a great gift for christmas or winter. Make then into fireplace starters. This is good to use up your old candles. Melt wax and drip over the pine cones, while still warm sprinkle with cinnamon or other scents. When you go to start a fire in the fireplace use these with the wax on them they will burn easily to get the logs started. Put them in a pretty bag or pile for gifts. They small good and are pretty to look at. Add glitter too if you'd like.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    That's what she said. My girls are very creative and it can really drive one crazy. They manage to come with things to do with things not usually used in that manner. That's how we got the name for our store many years ago,Creative Hands. And they have not stopped. My store has been closed for over 25 years but we still dabble.

Chuck
    Are your daughters interested in having a store and/or marketing what they make, creahands?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

May 20, 2010, 01:13 AM

There's always the old birdfeeder standby. Roll them in peanut butter and bird seed and hang from tree.
    truffleo58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Amazing bird feeders. We make these every year.
    Pine cones
    Wire
    Ribbin
    1 large jar of store brand peanut butter
    6 cups bird seed
    Rubber gloves
    Saran
    Waxed paper
    Wire the big end of the pine cone and fashion a sturdy hook so the finished cone can hang from a tree.
    In a large bowl, melt the peanut butter in the microwave being careful not to overheat.
    In another bowl, pour the seed.
    Dip the pine cone in the melted peanut butter and then push it into the bird seed as you roll it round.
    Place on waxed paper to firm up.
    Wrap in Saran and tie with a pretty ribbon along with instructions on what it is and how to use it.
    Great gift for neighborhood birs watchers, teachers, friends and family.

Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2010, 09:51 PM

Hi Clough

I apologize for not getting back to u on your post. Was not notified. They are dabbling on the net. Don't know if they are making money, but are having fun. Sometimes that is more important.

Thanks to all who have responded and have passed it on.

Thanks again

Chuck
    jaz5959 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
    To clean Pine Cones you could bake them in the oven at 250 for 20 minutes to kill spiders, bugs, nasty fungus that might be living in them.
    jaz5959 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
    What can you do with Pine Cones, paint -( black, red, white, and black), different color paper, scissors, glue, and tape?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I use to wax,dye or stain light pine to give it the Mexican pine look? [ 4 Answers ]

This may sound a dumb question, but is natural mexican pine a different color in the first place or is it similar to light pine wood? Can anyone suggest a wax or dye etc that could give light pine a similar look to the rustic looking Mexican pine. Thanks.

Pine cones on Japanese black pine [ 1 Answers ]

Should I remove or leave the emerging pine cones on a japanese "thunderhead" black pine? I planted it last fall, I'm in zone 6-7 New Jersey.

Cleaning Pine Cones-Crafts [ 8 Answers ]

Anyone know how to make sure pine cones are clean for a wedding reception centerpiece??

Crowded Pine Tree by Firs how to prune to free Pine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Pine tree that over the years has been crowded out by surrounding Fir trees. The trees are about 24ft apart and 90 feet tall. In a row. The Pine basically only has green up by the top. If I trim off some of the surrounding fir branches will the bare Pine branches regrow needles? Once it...

Unknown animal eating pine cones in my yard [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this? Don't know if I should be asking this here or in "Pest Control" I have tall white pine trees in my yard. Under a tree is a pile of what looks like wood shavings but is actually the scaly parts of pine cones dropping to the ground from far up in the tree. The pine cones...

View more questions Search