Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 8, 2010, 01:04 PM
    USB ports not working
    Hi there,

I have four USB ports on my computer and none of them seem to be working. I have a usb mouse for my laptop since the pad doesn't work, and it's not working... Help.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2010, 12:59 PM

What model computer?

What operating system>

Do you have, is it an older one meaning more than a couple yrs old?

Do you have other usb devices you can try to see if recognized?
    Vision Expert

May 9, 2010, 01:44 PM

Dell Vostro 1000, yes it's an older computer. Windows xp. No, this is the only usb thing I have...
    Vision Expert

May 9, 2010, 01:45 PM

If it helps, my mouse has a light and when I plug it in it lights up but doesn't work...
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2010, 10:04 AM

You may not have 2.0 usb drivers installed on the computer and will not recognize the device.

You can check device mgr to see if you do have 2.0 drivers installed

Control panel, system icon, hardware tab, device mgr
    -go down list till you see USB Serial Bus Controllers
    -If you see Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller then you do have 2.0 drivers, if not, you would need to install them

First would try to update the chipset for the motherboard
    Chip Set: Ricoh R5C832, R5C843, R5C833, v.1.0.1, A00 (581 KB)
    http://support.dell.com/support/topi...up&file=188377

Here is the link where found the chipset
    Dell Vostro 1000 Notebook Windows XP Drivers and Utilities Download | Notebook Drivers

Try that one first, hopefully the chipset will include the 2.0 drivers, install and follow on-screen instructions and will probably have to reboot afterward

That is place to start as I would not know if you have had any updates since the purchase of the PC
    Vision Expert

May 10, 2010, 10:59 AM

Ok, I will have my fiancée look into all that. The mouse used to work with the computer, up until a week ago.
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2010, 03:32 PM

If did recently work, would consider trying to get hold of another usb device and try it out to see if it works and also check this mouse on another computer to see if it could possibly the mouse that has problems.

With above info as you mentioned that it did work previously, it would seem that you do have the nec. Usb drivers for it, just an issue now.

Another option would be to confirm the mouse works on another computer and if works, you can do a system restore back to time/date when there was no issue.
    Vision Expert

May 11, 2010, 12:48 AM

That's a good idea. The system restore. There are no other USB devices and no other computers. That's why I'm so irritated. I can't even right click right now. The mouse pad on my laptop works but the buttons do not..
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 07:30 AM

Was anything installed right before it stopped working, maybe something installed caused issue either software or hardware.

Would go with a system restore if not much done since started happening and even if so, can do the restore and reinstall anything that may have been installed
    Vision Expert

May 11, 2010, 10:51 AM

Just an Adobe update.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 08:39 PM

Would not think would do anything but at this time as only thing, do system restore back to before the update if all was working then
    Vision Expert

May 12, 2010, 10:01 AM

I did the system restore. It didn't work. I'm going to buy a new mouse and see if that is the issue, if not then I'll go from there

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB Ports on Acer Aspire 5100 not working [ 15 Answers ]

Recently I got a virus on my laptop and it required me to wipe my whole laptop. After doing this, the laptop was fine with the exception of the USB ports not working. Whenever I plug something into the USB ports my laptop immediately freezes. Whether it is a flash drive, web cam, wireless mouse, or...

USB ports not working [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My usb ports on not working. Whenever I plug something into the usb ports nothing happens. But the weird thing is that when I starting up it does detect it but when the computer is done loading it doesn't. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Acer desktop USB ports stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

I have acer Aspire core2 quad desktop.USB ports stopped working need driver.Where can I get drivers from?

SAMSUNG Q25 USB Ports not working [ 2 Answers ]

We have a laptop (SAMSUNG Q25 Model) and we were using it for about an year without any problems. And suddenly now there some problem with its USB ports. All the USB ports in the laptop are detected and installed, but when I connect a flash disk or mouse or keyboard, it doesn't detect any of...

USB Ports [ 7 Answers ]

I ger error messages when I plug a device into either port on my PC... Do I have to replace it? If so, is it difficult, and about how much should it cost?. I have very little experience with this type of thing. Thanks.

View more questions Search