Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tony_line Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 12:52 PM
    What kind of schedule do divers have?
    I know people who work on oil rigs, firemen, and other misc. jobs work weird schedules. What would the schedule of a commercial diver be like?.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 01:17 PM

I dated a commercial diver - what type of diving? Salvage? Body retrieval? Working on rigs, water intakes?

May 5, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Not sure yet - I am looking at going into that line of work - anything you can tell me would be most helpful. Thanks.

May 8, 2010, 11:40 AM
    What type of dangers would a commercial diver face and how can I avoid them?
    I am considering beccoming a commercial diver, and am wondering how I can be the safest one possible. I want to learn from other's mistakes. -Tony
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 11:41 AM

How much experience and schooling do you have now? There's an entire course on safety in a professional school due to the dangers of the profession.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2010, 11:43 AM

Threads merged

May 8, 2010, 12:05 PM

I am already aware of these - but is there ways around/ or to avoid them? • Decompression sickness
    • Nitrogen narcosis
    • Drowning
    • Barotrauma
    • Oxygen toxicity
    • Shallow water blackout
    • Deep water blackout
    • On jumping into water: divers sometimes jump into water feet first from some height above the water (e.g. from a large boat or from a pier). Jumping into the water headfirst is unsafe for those wearing any sort of scuba or snorkelling equipment. In particular, an open-circuit scuba on the back is big and hard and heavy and during a headfirst dive into water may cause back or neck injury or break the neck.

May 8, 2010, 12:07 PM

I still would like more info. Before I sign up for a school.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2010, 01:10 PM

Well seldom do they jump into water, most will have lifts or ladders except for short jumps. They would never jump into unknown water. ( military may be different)

When I did some salvage work years ago, the divers there, worked and lived on the diving rigs. They would often work 3 to 6 weeks on and then 2 to 4 weeks off. There pay depends on experience, type of water they are diving in, the depth they are to dive and what type of diving they are doing.

The safety is taught in the schools , the danger comes when you get or take a risk, to do a job faster, to follow orders of a company because you are scared of getting fired. So if you always just follow the rules, it is safer.

But working underwater in ocean is different than fresh water

Salvage is a lot different than construction welding.

If you have fear of the job, it is not for you, this is a job where you have to respect the danger but know that there is a high risk of injury
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:20 PM

This is sounding more and more like homework to me.
    Expert

May 8, 2010, 06:53 PM

Made me wish I could go for a swim
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 06:53 AM

Under water or above?
    Expert

May 9, 2010, 07:24 AM

I do both, right now with the cast on leg, even a bath sounds good
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 07:28 AM

No comment.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 08:45 AM

Hello tony:

If you want to be a diver - BE a diver. It's a COOL line of work and it pays well.

Look. You're asking the wrong questions about diving... Yes, it's dangerous IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES. The cool thing about learning the profession, is you find out what the rules are, and how to follow them...

I'm a pilot. It's dangerous too, if you don't follow the rules. So,s driving, operating a punch press, or swinging a hammer.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't figure out my face shape and I want to get my hair cut to suit my face [ 5 Answers ]

The measurements of my face are: Widest part of cheekbones (cheekbone to cheekbone) - 9 inches Widest part of jaw (widest part on the left to widest part on the right) - 8 inches Widest part of forehead (" ") - 8 inches Length of face - 7 inches It says my face shape is square but it...

What type of license do I need for commercial cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

HI, These are questions I have, that I need help with. 1. what os licenses do I need for a commercial cleaning business to clean offices in Tampa,fl? 2 what type of forms do I need to fill out ?

Suicide Dangers [ 3 Answers ]

When you're 14 is it normal to wake up everyday and feellike you're a completely different person than you were the day before I'm miserable I've even been suicidal?

Velocity and net force of diver [ 1 Answers ]

I have a physics problem that states a 65 kg swimmer dives off a 10 m high dive What is the velocity when impacting the water and the swimmer comes to a stop 2.o m below the surface find the net force exerted by the water I am completely lost I do not anyone to complete the problem for me ...

Dangers of the job. [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is a Paramedic/Firefighter and has been for 20 years. He's also a bio-hazard trauma/crime scene technician. Back when he first became a paramedic, he worked at a station with 12 other people. 4 of those people are now dead, from cancer, and 3 others had cancer that is now in...

View more questions Search