Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 12:18 AM
    How Do You Know How Long to Preheat a Gas Oven Prior to Baking Something?
    Hi, All!

In recent days, I've been enjoying getting into baking using my gas oven. Most of the directions for what I bake call for preheating the oven. I have yet to see any directions that tell as to how long to preheat the oven.

Sure, I could stick a thermometer in the oven. However, as an additional question, when a person sets the oven temperature, wouldn't it stay that temperature, no matter how long the oven has been preheating?

I just baked brownies in a large, aluminum pan. I ended up taking them out of the oven about ten minutes before the allotted time as specified in the directions. I had let the oven preheat for about twenty minutes because I was off doing some other things.

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2010, 03:59 AM

I would say 15 to 20 minutes is all that is needed,especially with a newer oven.Bon appetit!
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Hi, artlady!

It's a very old gas oven. Not an antique, but very old.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 02:49 PM

10-15 minutes is a standard time. If you want to get fancy, use an oven thermometer. Measure and base the amount of time on that.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Hi, KISS!

Originally posted by Clough
    Sure, I could stick a thermometer in the oven. However, as an additional question, when a person sets the oven temperature, wouldn't it stay that temperature, no matter how long the oven has been preheating?
    What do you think, please?

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2010, 03:18 PM

It is suppose to be pre-heated to the temp you are going to bake out, on most ovens I have used, they have a temp light that goes out when it reaches that temp.
    If not and even if it does, a baker will have a temp gauge in their over to be sure they are at correct temps.

You don't start your baking till the oven is at the right temp.

And times on boxes are estimated, you need to check your food about 3/4 of the way though and est time needed
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 03:29 PM
    Mine has no temperature light or gauge in it.

Would a meat thermometer work if just placed in the oven?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2010, 03:32 PM

At least for mine, not really, check this out

Oven Thermometer: The Perfect Kitchen Gadgets
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Interesting, that the one that's listed as being "commercial" would seem to be the least expensive one in the group!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When Baking, How Do You Know Which Rack in the Oven to Use? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my question. How do you know, if the directions don't specify, which rack to use, please? Thanks!

What Sort of Things Do You Like to Put on a Ham Prior to Baking it, Please? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my question. Am getting ready to put a small ham in the oven. Let's see... cloves inserted in it, pineapple on top, pinnapple juice in the dish in which it's being baked. What else might be good to add, please? Thanks!

Inconsistent heat in oven while baking [ 1 Answers ]

Our 5yr old whirlpool gold self cleaning convection has inconsistent heat during baking.it has digital controls.thanks bayman

Oven door tells you to unlock when baking [ 1 Answers ]

When you try to lock the oven while baking, the oven beeps and says to unlock the door.

Oven taking too long to preheat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I have a White-Westinghouse gas oven with electronic ignition, model #GF835FXW and serial #XFF7016T. It is approximately 23 years old. It was here when we moved into this house 2 years ago. Two times in the past week ,(9/20) and (9/23), when I preheated the oven, it took a long time to...

View more questions Search