Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gadgetlover Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Outside fan in HVAC Unit
    When I turn the HVAC unit on, it effectively cools the house. After a few hours, however, I notice that the fan in the outside unit has stopped running. The air handler continues to operate, but there is no cooling anymore. If I turn off the system, wait an hour and start it, the outside fan starts operating again and cooling is effective once more. I seem to notice that when it is hotter (afternoon), the outside fan operates for a shorter time before stopping.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 7, 2010, 05:16 PM

Sounds like the fan is going into an "overheat mode" and that is why your seeing the short cycle times. Some units offer a thermo protection circuit. If the sensor is malfunctioning then it can caus the same thing. Either way you need to check it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HVAC Split Unit Heat works fine, A/C compressor on fan off [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all. I certainly have found a TON of info on this site, and problems that sound just like mine, but solutions seem to point to different things than in my system. So I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate somebody already answered. I have an older Ducane Oil Furnace converted to...

New hvac Unit [ 5 Answers ]

Looking to replace my not so efficient hvac unit. Considering goodman or trane. Any suggestions ? Presently my eer is like 79 or 80. Shouldn't it be like 92 ?

Replace HVAC unit [ 9 Answers ]

We need to replace our Rheem Model RC8A-6089GG243 with an energy efficient, quieter model. We do not want a heat pump and it doesn't have to be a Rheem unit. ( Located in northern Mississippi.) Thank you.

Replace HVAC unit [ 1 Answers ]

Would like a recommendation on replacing Rheem Model RC8A-6089GG243 with a quieter, more energy efficient unit. Any suggestions?

Hvac unit [ 6 Answers ]

I have a luxaire gas furnace and the heat keeps cutting off. When it cuts off, I have a red light that flashes 4 times. What does this mean?

View more questions Search