Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daniel1983 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 10:56 PM
    Canadian with J1 Visa
    Hi,
    I am Canadian, and I possess a J1 Visa which indicates that I am a trainee. I am doing my internship for a private company in USA for four months. I have the following tax questions. Please help. I am very confused by US's complex tax system.

1. What form do I file the tax with? (I think I should use a 1040 NREZ)
    2. I believe US and Canada have a tax treaty. Am I exempted from paying the US tax?
    3. If I am not exempted from paying the US tax, are monthly rent paid in US and meal expenses tax deductable?

Thank you for your help
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 6, 2006, 04:29 PM
    1/2) You probably are exempt from U.S. taxes. Contact the payroll department of the private company you will work for; they should know the applicable article of the treaty.

3) Yes, these expenses are deductible, since the work, being less than one year in duration, is considered a temporary work assignment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian Immigration [ 5 Answers ]

I was a landed immigrant in Canada in 1994, but this was cut short having to return to the UK due to family circumstances. I was out of Canada for more than 180 days so was unable to return, does anyone know a way around this, have the laws changed to allow people like us to reapply successfully?...

Canadian politics! [ 103 Answers ]

We are coming to an election in the new year. We have had 12 years of liberal rule which I do realize may be good for the finances of Canada, but in whole is not good for morality of our country, or the safety of our country. The liberal government has promised many things and never delivered,...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

Canadian Confederation? [ 1 Answers ]

What cause was the most significant push to Canadian Confederation??

View more questions Search