Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RJEFFERS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 11:17 AM
    German National working in U.S.
    Our parent company owns a company in Germany. They are looking to bring over a German National (Using an L-1 Visa) to work at our corporate office here in the U.S. for approximately 18 months. He will apply for a social security card/number. My question is:
    Once he obtains a SSN I will set up payroll information in my system. Will he have to pay income taxes; federal, FICA and state, if applicable? I'm confused because I thought the U.S. had a Tax treaty with Germany. Please help!

Thank you!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 7, 2010, 11:44 AM

The tax treaty only covers certain taxes, not necessarily employment taxes. Here is the website which will direct you to the germany/us tax treaty in detail.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/intern...d=96739,00.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I apply for a german passport when married to a german and living in south africa [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm South African and would like to know if I will be able to apply for a German passport after getting married to my fiancé which of cause is a German himself. We will however live in South Africa after getting married. Our marriage will also take place in South Africa.

I'm german but live in england my husband is turkish can he get a german passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm german living in england My husband is turkish can he get a german passport Because I'm german??

Where can I get proofs that my grandfather was German --> Obtaining German Passport [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, My Grandfather was German and he escaped to New York from the Nazis around 1940. He was naturalized as a US Citizen in Feb 1945 so technically he should lose his German Citizenship, however because of Nirenberg laws he's entitled to regain his German Citizenship, hence my father and...

View more questions Search