Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jensee36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 10:45 AM
    Why do employers as employees to keep their pay confidential
    Are there any laws that prohibit employees from discussing their salaries with other employees?
    hontoni Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2010, 10:52 AM

The answer to the 2nd half of this question will vary, depending on state, but, in California, there is no law that prohibits you from discussing your pay.

The reason employers ask you to keep it confidential is multi-leveled.

The main reason is it is really no one else's business. Just as it is not their business to know what you make, it is not your business to know what they make.

Another reason is jealousy. If you are a better employee, and you therefore make more money, someone who is not as good as you may get jealous if they discover the difference. It can create a lot of hate and discontent. They may feel entitled to as much as you and actually get mad at you, as well as the company.

I’m sure you could come up with other reasons along this line.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensee36 View Post
    Are there any laws that prohibit employees from discussing their salaries with other employees?
    Hello Jen:

Nope.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2010, 05:38 AM

Let me tell you a story. My first full time job was with a company that had a VERY structured training program. ALL employees went through this program and as, they progressed their salary increased. Therefore, everyone knew what everyone else made up to a certain level. When I moved on to my second job, we started by moving the operations of a recently purchased subsidiary to the HQ of the parent. Several people from different positions had to travel to learn the operations from the current employees. Since we were all away from home, we generally had dinners together. At one of these dinners I mentioned my salary because I thought everyone knew, and one of the people in a different position got upset because I was making more than him.

I learned then that you do not discuss your salary with your co-workers. This can lead to jealousies and other issues. Employers do not like it for similar reasons. But there are no laws prohibiting it.

May I ask why you are asking?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2010, 06:34 AM

I got fired from one job, what happened was the janitor must have went though my desk and found one of my check stubs, and they told everyone what I made, but they told people I had told them. The company believed that I had told him ( he would certainly not go though my desk? )

But yes, often people in the same job may be paid very different, so the lower paid ones will be mad,

In some jobs, pay is posted, when I worked for the college, you could even look our pay up online.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 04:35 PM

There is no law per se but would you like everyone else working alongside you to know exactly what your pay is? Not a good idea to share such information anytime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deducting pay from salaried employees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a salaried employee who has requested a vacation day that is 2 months prior to his being eligible for paid vacation time. Can I deduct 8 hours pay from the pay period in which he takes the day?

Can Employers legally devulge employee salary details to non-employees? Alabama [ 6 Answers ]

I work in Alabama and my employer shared the details of my salary to a customer. I felt that my privacy had been invaded and believed that the employer should have asked my consent before sharing such information. However, my employer insists that they did nothing wrong/illegal. Am I crazy or are...

Do non-employees pay taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I worked as a nanny for six months. Now I got my tax papers and it seems that I got to pay back around $1300 in taxes. How is this possible, can someone explain to me what non-employee status mean and if my former employer was supposed to pay any of the taxes... I appreciate any help, Thanks

Cutting salary employees pay [ 6 Answers ]

Can an employeer cut a salary employees pay and move them to an hourly position because of being absent with out any kind of warning first?

View more questions Search