Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2010, 04:56 AM
    Why does toy poodle parade with dog biscuit?
    Sheeler (means "smile happy" in Chinese) is our used poodle from the Denver Dumb Friend's League (Dumb name.)
    Neutered, 4.8 lbs. 2 years old when we adopted him. Now 7.

When we give him a dog biscuit, he walks around making vocalizations and seemingly showing everyone that 'I have a dog biscuit and you don't'.
    Then he buries it in the sofa or in someone's coat. With his nose, he pushes the "dirt" forward onto his treasure.

Anyone have an idea why the descending "MMMmmmm....MMMmmmm" vocalizations?

Thank you.

Robert
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 05:08 AM

Haha, a lot of dogs do that, they are just showing off their biscuit to everyone and then hiding it to save for later.

I give Prada my female poodle a biscuit before bed every night. She takes it in her crate with her and buries it under the blankets.
    Problem is the next morning she races out to do a wee and forgets to grab the biscuit... it promptly gets stolen by one of the others dog... you think she would learn but no :D

May 7, 2010, 05:26 AM
    Funny.
    My wife arrived from China in February, 2005.
    "You want to get a dog?", I asked.
    She say, "Prease wait 6 months so I can learn about United States."
    I placed our name on the list at the Dumb Friend's League, thinking it will be two years, if ever, that they get to us.

Two weeks later they call saying they have a white toy poodle.

That night, we place him in his dog bed next to ours.
    We wake up and he's in bed between us.
    Having never slept with a dog before, too poor to even own one in China, my wife places Sheeler back in his dog bed under his little blanket.
    Later we wake and he is in bed between us.
    Now she cannot imagine sleeping without Sheeler sleeping on her or next to her.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 7, 2010, 05:33 AM

That's sweet.

I used to have a ShihTzu, ans she used to take her treats and burry them in the corner of the couches, when the other dogs would even come close to the couch she used to start barking and growling. It didn't help that she was missing half her teeth and half blind. Poor little thing.

My Am staffs always parade around with their bones, they make throaty noises and parade back and forth, and if you get up and walk towards them they take off running wagging their tails.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 06:09 AM

Aww that's really sweet, I'm glad she worked her way into your home so quickly :)

Brody is like that with Toys Bella... he will have a toy in his mouth and start pushing it against you, then as soon as you go to take it off him to throw it he runs off with this "nerr nerr ne nerr nerr" look in his eyes :rolleyes:
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 08:34 AM

Hey! I like Denver Dumb Friends League! We work with them on occasion :)

May 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Hey! I like Denver Dumb Friends League! We work with them on occasion :)
    Good of you to do that!
    Was hoping they would change their name at their 100th Anniversary.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 05:09 PM
    There is suppose to be meaning behind their name. I forget what it is..

I don't like the fact they parade around as a no kill shelter, when they are a pretty bad kill shelter :(
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 7, 2010, 05:16 PM
    There is suppose to be meaning behind their name. I forget what it is..(
    I wonder if it has to do with another meaning for the word 'dumb'-'mute' (unable to speak)?

On topic, my six month old pup enjoys doing the same thing. It usually is a prelude to a game of tag or chase. :)

May 7, 2010, 08:24 PM

Yes. It means: mute - unable to speak.
    But our dogs and cats always spoke/speak to us.
    Piganini, my pot-bellied pig always complained. (You never sausage a pig!)
    They are not the least bit "dumb".
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 07:53 AM

I don't like the fact they parade around as a no kill shelter, when they are a pretty bad kill shelter :(

It's called Dumb League because they speak for animals who have no voices - are dumb.

My stepson volunteers there. I didn't realize they advertise as a no-kill shelter. Their website is fairly explicit that they save those they can and humanely euthanize those they cannot.

What is your experience?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 9, 2010, 07:55 AM

My stepson volunteers in Denver - the word "dumb" refers to the inability to speak. Animals are dumb.

Their website and brochures are pretty explicit about saving the animals they can, humanely euthanizing those they cannot. I don't see anything about a no kill shelter in their paperwork.

What is your experience?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 9, 2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks JD! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog killed a poodle [ 4 Answers ]

We've had a dog since he was 6 weeks old. He's 9 years old now. About 4 years ago my mom moved into town and took him with her (we live in the country). He was good down there until a few weeks ago. Back in mid-April my mom's landlord accidentally let the dog out and it went outback and attacked...

Is there a tiny toy Poodle breeder in Cochran, ga? [ 2 Answers ]

Back in 1983 I bought my Mother a tea cup poodle from a couple in Cochran But I have lost their name, and number. Does anyone know who they are? Bethridge

Bloody muchous instead of stool in my toy poodle [ 3 Answers ]

For the last twenty four hours my dog Bindi has been going outside and having bowel movements of bloody mucious, thick almost stringy. She has vomited several times. It's 6:15 am in New York and I'm waiting to call the vet. She had her rabies shot on Monday, went to the groomers on Thursday,...

View more questions Search