Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RadioActive697 Posts: 295, Reputation: 13

May 6, 2010, 03:29 PM
    Some questions?
    Ok I love learning about the solar system so I have some questions.
    What would happen if the earth stopped spinning for 1 hour?
    What would happen if the earth clashed into another planet?
    What would if lava or magma touched water?

Please if you can answer these questions! Please? Thank You!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 6, 2010, 03:39 PM
    What would happen if the earth stopped spinning for 1 hour? My hair would get messed up, and I'd end up in a different time zone.

What would happen if the earth clashed into another planet? We'd all die.

What would if lava or magma touched water? The water would warm up, and the lava would cool off and begin to solidify.

Is this homework?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActive697 View Post
    What would if lava or magma touched water?!
    This happens every day, thus is how new land is formed.

May 6, 2010, 04:38 PM

No this is not homework just a few wondering questions I had. But thank you all. And need karma, good fact you gave I didn't know that.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 09:49 AM

On a more serious note on this question...

The Earth rotates round the Sun because of the centripetal force that pulls on the Earth, and the fact that the Earth is moving produces a resultant velocity the Earth respects.

Name:  Test.png
Views: 93
Size:  3.4 KB

See this diagram?

On the left, you have the upward force due to the Sun and the rightwards motion of the Earth. Together, they have such an effect on the Earth that the Earth is constantly changing direction, and thus moves in an orbit round the Sun.

Now, on the right, suppose the Earth is not moving. What are the forces that act on Earth?

Only the Sun acts on Earth, and the latter will therefore start moving towards the Sun. Even if the Earth gains the initial motion it had, the resultant motion due to the Sun and the motion of the Earth will be such that the Earth will slowly approach the Sun, and you can think of what would then happen :)

EDIT: I didn't notice you typed 'clashed' just before... if you really meant 'clash', then you'll have wars between the Earthings and the population from the other planet ;). But if the Earth crashed, then there is practically no chance of survival unless we leave the Earth before the impact.

May 8, 2010, 10:18 AM

Thank you Unknown008! Your very smart! To me your gifted and talented! Thank you!
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 10:49 AM

It's only that I'm applying what I know to the situations posed before me. If there seems to be something which sounds logical, I go forward with it. I'm sure that if you learn Physics, you'll understand what I said quickly :)

You did the right thing to ask those questions, which deserve to be answered :)

May 8, 2010, 06:53 PM

Thank you! And even though I have no clue what physics is! I would be willing to learn what it is! But your still gifted and talented to me though!
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 08:40 PM

Well, physics is one of the branches of science. This section here, for example is the section of 'other science' from the main section science. You have many other branches such as chemistry, biology, physics, astronomy, ecology, energy, geography, mathematics and so on. I'm frequently on some of these boards. So, if you have other questions, or need some help with a science problem you are stuck with, you can post there :)

May 9, 2010, 03:07 PM

Thank you. No wonder you're an expert! I'm jealous! Just joking! But thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Me and my boyfriend play 20 questions and I need questions [ 3 Answers ]

We play 20 questions a lot and I ran out of questions help

Three questions [ 1 Answers ]

Critical appreciation of three questions by leo tolstoy

Several questions [ 3 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. What component is present in every part of a loop, such as one That involves proteins producing energetic molecules from sugar? A. Raw materials C. Energy absorption B. Energy release D. Information 2. If...

View more questions Search