Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NancyKR Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Genetics
    Hi!

My dad has very curly hair and, with my very straight- haired mom had 4 curly haired kids. My curly haired self, along with my straight-haired husband produced 2 straight-haired kids. From what I've read, curly hair is dominant (although I did find a site that said it was recessive). I always expected to have curly-haired kids. Were 2 straight-haired kids what I could've expected?

Thanks!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 12:12 PM

You've got a straight haired mother and a straight haired husband. Straight hair was always on the cards.

May 6, 2010, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen G View Post
    You've got a straight haired mother and a straight haired husband. Straight hair was always on the cards.
    Not necessarily. My dad had a straight haired mother and a straight haired wife and had 4 curly haired kids.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 01:49 PM

That's the point, it could go either way.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 6, 2010, 02:34 PM

Do you know how genetics work?

Curly hair is dominant, but that doesn't mean you don't carry the gene for straight hair as a recessive trait--your mom had straight hair. So... you have the genes Cs. Your husband's genes donate SS--no curly gene.

So--your kids have the chance of matching up with the following combinations:
    S S
    C Cs Cs

S ss ss

You literally had a 50/50 chance of either.

May 6, 2010, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Do you know how genetics work?

Curly hair is dominant, but that doesn't mean you don't carry the gene for straight hair as a recessive trait--your mom had straight hair. So....you have the genes Cs. Your husband's genes donate SS--no curly gene.

So--your kids have the chance of matching up with the following combinations:
    S S
    C Cs Cs

S ss ss

You literally had a 50/50 chance of either.
    Hey! That's just what my little Punnet square told me! Maybe I remember more from sophomore biology than I thought.

That would've been the same for my parent's kids too then. Funny how a 50/50 chance got my parents all of one and me all of the other. That's interesting.

Thanks! :)
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 03:13 PM

It's the tossing a coin thing. No matter how often you toss it, it's still 50/50. The fact that you've just tossed ten heads in a row doesn't affect the chance of the next toss also being a head.
    elscarta Posts: 118, Reputation: 20

May 7, 2010, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyKR View Post
    Funny how a 50/50 chance got my parents all of one and me all of the other.
    There are actually two possibilities for your father's genes. CC or Cs

If your father is Cs then the chance of having 4 curly haired children with your mother is 1 in 16 or 6.25%.

On the other hand if your father is CC then the chance of having 4 curly haired children with your mother is 100% as can be seen by the punnet square below.

C C
    S Cs Cs
    S Cs Cs

So it is much more likely that your father is CC.

With you and your husband, the chance of having 2 straight haired children is 1 in 4 or 25%.
    The other possibilities are:
    2 curly haired children - 1 in 4 or 25%
    1 curly and 1 straight - 1 in 2 or 50%

May 7, 2010, 01:50 PM

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to know. Thanks! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems in genetics [ 10 Answers ]

Problems in genetics help ? If a man has type AB blood and a woman has type A blood, what possible blood types could their childern have? Please show me how to do this question for future questions like this one

Genetics about twins [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right spot or not but I was hoping some of you guys could help me with a question that I have about twins. I'm not sure if twins run big in my family or not. My dad has twin sisters and I heard it skips every generation. My dad didn't have twins neither...

Genetics(chromosomes) [ 1 Answers ]

Is a trisomy 18 when you have 3 #18 chromosomes!! :cool: :p ;) :( :o

Genetics issue! [ 4 Answers ]

I am jain, I love one girl from our caste ,her mothers family surname and my mothers family surname is same? Now I was was not knowng her until I met her , she is not related to me , yet everyone is sayng it will be like brother sister marriage! Also people talk about genetic problems due to...

Genetics and heredity [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between incomplete dominance and codominance?

View more questions Search