Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enchantedgar Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
    Do you need a male to fertilize ringneck parakeet eggs?
    I have a female ringneck parakeet, but no male... she has laid 2 eggs... are they fertile if no male is present?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2010, 08:48 AM

The eggs are duds. Without a male the eggs are not fertilized.

Since your bird is now laying eggs and there is not male to fertilize them, she could end up with her uterus literally falling out.

Most pet stores have fake eggs for female birds that do not have a mate. It's best to remove the duds and place a plastic fake egg into the cage. This will help prevent her from continuing to lay egg after egg.

Do not get a male unless you know how to breed birds. It's not as easy as putting two birds together and it can be very hard on the female.

Good luck.

May 6, 2010, 08:56 AM

Thank you so much! I have no intention of breeding her... thus the surprise when I saw the eggs knowing she had no mate!. a friend who could no longer take care of her gave her to me... I'm glad there is someone to ask... I want to do what is best for her! Thanks again!
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by enchantedgar View Post
    Thank you so much! I have no intention of breeding her....thus the surprise when i saw the eggs knowing she had no mate!...a friend who could no longer take care of her gave her to me...i'm glad there is someone to ask...i want to do what is best for her! Thanks again!
    No problem.:)

All females will lay eggs sooner or later. This could go on for a while. Like I said, it could effect her health so keep an eye on her.

My cockatiel took a while to accept the plastic egg as a replacement, but now that she has she hasn't laid an egg in around 4 months were before she was laying 2 or more eggs every two weeks.

It's also a good idea to get a calcium supplement to add to her food. You can get a powder made especially for birds. Just mix it in with her seed. You can also get calcium drops to add to the water, but some birds don't like the flavor, even though it's supposed to be flavorless. Picky birds. ;)

If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them. Welcome to AMHD. :)

May 6, 2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks for all the great info!. why does a plastic egg stop her from laying more?
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2010, 09:11 AM
    thanks for all the great info!....why does a plastic egg stop her from laying more?
    Birds are a bit odd. When you take away a dud egg they feel the need to replace it. Seeing as you can't leave an egg that will rot in the cage, you have to remove it, she'll see that it's gone and lay another to replace the one you took. The need to nest is so strong that she'll just continue laying egg after egg. That's why chickens lay eggs every few days, because we remove the eggs so they replace it.

A plastic egg will trick her into thinking that her egg is still there, so no need to lay another. Some birds aren't fooled by it, or it can take a while for the egg laying to stop, but it's really the only option, otherwise the constant egg laying will weaken her, or, worst case scenario, her uterus will fall out and she could die.

The calcium will help while she's laying because creating an egg takes a lot of calcium. A vitamin supplement for birds is also a good idea.

When you get the plastic egg make sure to get one as close to the size that she's laying as possible. There are many different sizes. You won't fool a parakeet with a condor egg. ;)

May 6, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Makes sense! You've been a great help! :0)

May 6, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Makes sense! You've been a great help! :0)
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2010, 09:43 AM
    Makes sense! You've been a great help!! :0)
    Glad to have helped. :)

My grandfather bred parakeets and cockatiels. I learned a lot from him.

I used to breed finches, I've had parakeets all my life and now have a cockatiel along with many other animals. I have a small zoo. I seriously should charge admission. ;)

If there's anything else you have questions about, we're all glad to help.

We also love pictures. Hint, hint. ;)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2010, 08:08 AM

The plastic egg trick works wonders on birds that want to be mamas.

A good place to find fake eggs would be at a hobby store.

Do you give your bird a cuttlebone? Sometimes, when birds continue to lay eggs, they won't be eating everything they should be.. Their moods change and all responsibility is to the egg. You may need to scrape the cuttlebone onto the food to ensure she does get the needed calcium.

Good Luck

May 14, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Thank you!

May 14, 2010, 10:07 AM

Thank you!

May 14, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    The plastic egg trick works wonders on birds that want to be mamas.

A good place to find fake eggs would be at a hobby store.

Do you give your bird a cuttlebone? Sometimes, when birds continue to lay eggs, they wont be eating everything they should be.. Their moods change and all responsibility is to the egg. You may need to scrape the cuttlebone onto the food to ensure she does get the needed calcium.

Good Luck
    Thank you! Everyone has been soooo helpful :o)
    yoshistepper Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Jun 2, 2010, 08:06 PM
    :confused: is thaat a trick questions da answer is yes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I fertilize or seed next? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently aerated my lawn because it desperately needed it as it was not draining at all anymore. It is the end of March here in NJ and I know that the ideal time to aerate would have been back in the late fall, however I couldn't get it done. My delimna is what should I do next since my lawn...

How to reseed and fertilize/lime my lawn? [ 1 Answers ]

OK; here's my story. :o My lawn, years back, use to look full and green. Since my dog became older and having difficulty walking down the back stairs, she most use the front stairs and pees on my front lawn. Now I have a bald spot where she voids. I also have other areas in the front that seem...

Breeding indian ringneck [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a proven pair lutino ringneck, my male always makes a mating calls, the female always inside the nestbox, I don't know what she is doing in there, haven't seen them mate yet, but one day I saw the female droppings as liquified and more but normal colors, it maybe a sign that she is...

Parakeet eggs not hatching. [ 1 Answers ]

My Ringneck Parakeets are sitting on eggs laid in May. The first egg appeared May 10th. Should I remove the eggs? What is the best way to do this? (Well, I know, just reach in there and take them... ) SQUAWK!

To fertilize or NOT to fertilize? [ 2 Answers ]

Help! The lawn at my newly constructed home came up good last spring. I fertilized in the fall and seeded twice, the first time (late Sept.) using Kent. 31 tall fescue, then I used the Rebel brand (late Oct.). The local garden shop said to weed and feed in the spring. I bought Scotts weed and feed...

View more questions Search