Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
    Getting a ferret.
    I am looking into getting a ferret, I've always wanted one and think they would make an interesting pet. I'm just wondering what do you guys think? What are some pros and cons? What do you NEED to have? What would be some things ferrets WANT? It would be in a three or four level cage (Not to sure on what size I want yet). The ferret would be neutered, descented and come from a local breeder. Are they hard to care for? I have read a few Internet articles but the most of them contridict each other so I'm hoping one of you guys may have some answers
    To my questions!

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as well :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2010, 07:01 PM

Will you have a lot of time to be with them, to allow them to run around and play with them.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 07:15 PM

I am home and awake from 6-8am and then 4-11, during this time it will be free to roam (with supervision)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2010, 07:18 PM
    Ferrets are very social and playful creatures. Getting only one and leaving it alone for that long of a time doesn't sound like a good idea.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 07:48 PM

Would you recommend 2 females or two males? What size of cage would be a good choice? I wouldn't mind having two :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2010, 08:12 PM
    Please do your homework before you get any ferrets. They are smart and challenging at times and very social. You have to know what you are doing if you want to give them quality care and a good home. You will have to ferret-proof your house because they can wiggle into small openings and get lost inside the framework of the house. They need a large enough space, certain kinds of food, regular cage cleaning, fun toys, and other overseeing.

Your public library will have books in both the adult and children's sections on ferret care.

Are there other animals in the house?
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 08:18 PM

I've done a lot of research but something's on some sites are different from others. I'm looking for opinion to make my decision. I have 2 guinea pigs, 3 dogs, and some fish. The dogs and guinea pigs will not be near the ferret, the dogs are kept on one part of the house which is blocked of, and the guinea pigs are in a cage which is raised 3 feet off te ground, and they have there playtime in a pen outside.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 6, 2010, 08:44 AM

You are going to have a small zoo soon Emily!! I don't know much about them, but I do know they require a lot of time and patience. When will you have time for all you dogs too?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2010, 09:52 AM

I've never had ferrets but I do have friends that have. All of the friends got them on a whim and later got rid of them because of the amount of work involved and behavior issues.

From what I've heard it's always a good idea to get them young. I'm usually an advocate of getting an older animal rescue, but with ferrets, behavior learned early on is hard to correct, or so I've heard.

I do know they can be litter trained and descenting is a must because they reek.

If you get a biter you will have a small pitbull on your hands. Their jaws lock when they bite and they can cause a lot of damage.

I wish I could be more help, but all the info I have on them is second hand and not necessarily accurate.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 10:14 AM

There is four, sometimes 5 people in my house. We have a lot of time :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does a 13 year old girl and a ferret mix [ 27 Answers ]

Hi :) I just wanted to know if I should get a ferret. I am 13 love animals,and saw a ferret acouple of years ago and have wanted one ever since. So do you think a ferret is a ferret a good pet for me or do you think I should not get one?:cool:

Getting a new ferret. [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I am 14 and I am going to be getting a job this march. My mom said I could either get a ferret or a cat, I think I'm going to get the ferret just because they seem so much more fun. But I am wondering what the basic's ill need? And the size of cage?. also I have a female rabbit, and I was...

Timing how long a Ferret is in the room [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 Ferrets. They are cute and playful. I have noticed though between the three of them the poop on the average every 15 minutes. If my wife puts them in a room to play I can tell how long they have been there by the number of poops. Their poops are not out of the ordinary or 'sickly' looking....

What are some symptoms of a pregnant ferret? [ 10 Answers ]

I have 2 males and 1 female. I do not know if they are fixed, but one of the males has been trying to get frisky with my female. She has been acting weird and nipping a lot. She is not as friendly and generally keeps to herself. This is not her usual personality. Could she be pregnant? What are the...

Feisty Ferret [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby ferret (kit) and I am having a hardest time potty training him. I have tried a few things. I put his "stuff" in the litter box and will still use the restroom in other parts of his cage. I also moved his litter box to where he was using the restroom the most and he'll go somewhere...

View more questions Search