Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doitmyself8750 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Help me properly insulate and/or vent vaulted ceiling!!
    I have a 1600 sq ft house with a Vaulted Ceiling in all rooms with large exposed beams. The roof is tin, on top of OSB, rafters are 2 x 8s. I am going to be doing T and G pine ceiling. What should I use to maximize R value. I would like to use fiberglass insulation. Do I need vents on ridge and eves? I really just need help figuring out the right thing to do. PLEASE ADVISE! Thank you for help
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

May 5, 2010, 03:20 PM

Personally I would go with a spray foam when insulating a vaulted ceiling. You'll get maximum insulation in that small area. I have asphalt shingles on top of plywood roof decking held up with 2x8s. I used icyene and I love the results thus far. No matter the season, I can keep two floors within 1 degree of each other and everything is on 1 zone. All my neighbors have a hard time heating and cooling the top floor of their cape cod except for me.
    doitmyself8750 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 03:30 PM

It is a one level house so no real issues there.. I have heard the spray in is good stuff to get in all the cracks and small spaces, just a little more pricey. I am wondering, what about ventilation.. is it required with the spray as it is in the fiberglass insulation?
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

May 5, 2010, 03:46 PM

From what I've seen on home improvement shows and from what I've read in "This Old House" as well as other literature, you do not have to ventilate the roof if you are spraying the foam directly to the underside of the roof decking. This is what I did in my house. The cavities between the 2x8s were completely filled with icyene and then the foam was trimmed back to be flush with the 2x8s. I have had no problems in the past two years... and all ice damming has been eliminated.

This being said, I would still contact the manufacturer of whatever material you use since there are so many spray foams out there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to insulate vaulted roof [ 6 Answers ]

We currently live in a modular home that was built in 1989. The middle of the house has vaulted ceilings, the two ends of the home, where the bedrooms are, have regular ceilings. There is only attic space access on one end of the house. I was wondering what would be the best way to install extra...

Ceiling fan mounted at peak of vaulted ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to attractively mount a ceiling fan at the peak of a vaulted ceiling?

How do I insulate an oil boiler exhaust vent? [ 5 Answers ]

I have an oil fueled boiler in a lower level with a 30' run of an 8" exhaust through a crawl space to the chimney. The temperature of the exhaust near the boiler is 700F and it drops to 250F near the chimney. I would like to insulate it with something to reduce the temperature drop so that the...

I have a vaulted ceiling and want to install a ceiling fan. [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a ceiling fan and want to know how to make it look good installing a baox to hold the wiring and fan.

Hanging ceiling fan from vaulted ceiling peak [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install Hampton Bay's Berlini model 729395 on a cathedral ceiling with a single ridge beam. Want to hang fan from the peak and there's not enough room for the canopy to cover the hanger bracket. Is there any extenders for this?

View more questions Search