Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RRoberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Laptop, desktop,and router hookup
    I just bought a dell laptop and a linksys router. I got the router installed on my laptop and it works fine. Problem is, now my desktop won't connect to the internet. I know I have something hooked up wrong. HELP!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Can I "assume" this is a wireless router ?

And your dell has a built in wireless card ?

And have you ran the USB cable from the router to the desktop ?
    RRoberts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Fr_Chuck,
    Yes it is a wireless router, the dell does have a wireless card. It is working fine. It's the desktop that isn't. I don't think I ran a usb cable. Lol ne didn't come with it so I didn't hook one up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Yes, the linksys should have two to four USB ports in the back where you run a cable to any non wireless devices. ( sorry I can't do the neat photos of the system like some of the pros here normally so)

Your desk top should find the system once the wire is connected, if not you will have to go in and find the new address of the linksys router

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amp hookup [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new car with a good stereo system in it but it doesn't have the preamp outputs for the rca cables is there another way to hook my amp and subwoofers up to my stereo? If so how can go about doing it.

Laptop or Desktop? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, been wanting a computer for some time now. Finally have the money. Which is right for me?? Just want something I can write my college papers on, internet and downloading music. Pretty much it. I'd prefer anything but macs. Any suggestions? Or good sales going on? Don't want to spend too much,...

Hookup for A/C relay [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed an A/C unit to my furnace. I want to confirm where the relay wires go as well as the other thermostat wires. Furnace has C W R G Y terminals. Thermostat has W R G Y terminals. There are four wires running between them, and two are hooked up. They are White -...

Hookup TV [ 2 Answers ]

How do I hookup my TV to DVD/VCR, Satellite, Cable? I can get the satellite and cable to work but not the DVD/VCR:confused:

Backup laptop to desktop using crossover cable [ 2 Answers ]

I want to backup the hard drive on my laptop to the hard drive on my desktop. I have a crossover cable and ethernet ports in each computer. What settings do I need to setup?

View more questions Search